1926-9 Peugeot

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is a restoration project / build thread for my new acquisition, a Peugeot Roadster. It is complete, but has some issues. The freewheel is jammed, the skirt guards need replacing, as do the pedal rubbers. It looks rattle can painted, and the tyres/tubes need replacing. Some of the soldering at the spoke crossing points needs repairing. Just couldn't let this go. :oops:

Frame: Peugeot 1926 serial No. 136924

Fork: Peugeot

Headset: Peugeot
Stem: Peugeot
Handlebar: Peugeot
Bar Grips:

Brakes: Rod Brakes by Peugeot

Chain:
Cranks: Peugeot
Chainrings: Peugeot "Three Lions"
Bottom Bracket: Peugeot
Pedals: Peugeot

Rims: Peugeot
Hubs: Peugeot
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres:
Tubes:

Saddle: Hunt
Seatpost: Steel

Extras: Demountable Front Rack, Rear Rack with Pannier Boxes, Skirt/Cassock guards, Bell.

Weight:

Some quick pics.

Serial No.

Head Badge

Wheel Rims ID

Catalogue 1926 from http://www.peugeotshow.com/

The cycle at the top of the page

Re:

That is a terrific find :eek: Love the description "ou Ecclesiastique" - I guess this means for skirt wearing priests? Can just see Pere Brun astride one! Good luck with restoration, I will watch this with interest...

Re:

Some more pics.....

Beautiful Three Lions Chainwheel

Pedals

I have been wondering about the original colour, as this seems to have had an overall dark blue respray. I moved one of the back brake rod guides and found that it was Black. Not a surprise, but nice to have it confirmed.

There are problems....the headset threads are very poor, and the wheel rims are U/S. The freewheel needs some attention, as does the saddle, which is the original one.

This is going to be a long job, especially as I still have to finish the Royal Enfield.....and the tandem..... :roll:

Re: 1926 Peugeot

Stripping out the crank and wheel bearings, blasting grit everywhere. The whole bike has been blasted and rattle can sprayed dark blue. Even the handlebars and wheel hubs. Vandalism I call it......

What an elegant bike. And very interesting to see the tied and soldered spoke crossings - I have only seen this done before in the 60s, with track wheels. It will be lovely to see it restored.

The vandalism continues.....All the chrome parts have been grit blasted to remove rust and the chrome, leaving a rough surface. I really don't know if it will re-chrome. The chain wheel is worn out, and I am thinking that I can cut an existing chain wheel down and have it welded to the original.

The freewheel is stuck fast, and is going to my LBS for professional removal, but if it does not budge I can use an English rear wheel and freewheel. If it does come off, but does not come apart, I should be able to get a French replacement.

I will need to get some panel beating skills, as the mudguards are a bit "out of true" :shock:

The first thing to fix though is the threads on the steerer tube.....all the rest is just spending money...... ;)

I am thinking 1929. This is due to the cutout on the chain guard, from the mid point to the freewheel.

1926b_06.jpg

It looks nice and while it's all there, it is still a big undertaking. I really look forward to seeing this one progress and hopefully it wont give you any headaches or problems.
It's a great find.

Jamie

Re:

Hello Dave,
Your bike is a bit older than 1929.
1927 would be more accurate due to its serial number

the number 146 315 had been sold the 08/09/1927

file.php

image originally post on tontonvelo.com

Back