1993 Klein Quantum

judda

Retro Newbie
First time posting here so why not show the bike first and then ask couple of questions about it.

33822093062_42ba5e95a7_b.jpg

So this is something I recently built. I have wanted a bike like this for some time and finally I made my move just before winter and bought this Klein Quantum '93 frame (well, I really bought those wheels first and then had to buy a frame for those :D ). Then just parts from here and there. It's now 2x9 with DuraAce parts, brakes are Shimano 600 BR-6403 and rest made in America stuff (AmericanClassic, ControlTech, ChrisKing and ProfileDesign).

Result is something that I really like so I'm happy but there are couple of questions so if someone here knows I would love to hear:)

The frame is made in 1993 based on the serial number on BB but the purple color is not the color they used then (based on the catalogs and info I've found). The one quite close might be that blue but this is true purple.
Repaint is of course possible cause there isn't any model text but only the Klein on sides but it still has the "made in America" sticker and list of patent numbers and also some warranty sticker of the bikeshop. The paintjob is also REALLY well done but seen some life so if the repaint has been done I'd say they might have done it before the bike was sold.

The other thing is the head badge. I've heard that head badges were put on frames that they exported from US (some warranty issue?) but they were silver? Some said that the golden head badges were on Klein's 20th anniversary year bikes so 1995? I think my frame was exported to Australia where I bought it. Could it be that the frame was made 1993 but was sold as a 1995 model? But still the color would be wrong and also the logo type.

Here are more pictures where you can also see the details:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52956555@ ... 2382450956

Lovely. I wouldn't ride a road bike. Except a Klein. My 93 had brass head badge. Klein did offer custom paint finishes so perhaps that?

Back