1991 Orbit Illusion 531 Competition...FINISHED!

marge602

Retro Guru
Hi folks. Got a retro road project on the go, so thought I'd start a build thread. I bought this frameset from a brilliant ebay seller called Chris Bertwistle. I'd had my eye on it for a week or so before I took the plunge, and was able to part-ex an early 80s Dawes frame I got a few years ago, but never did anything with

I've posted already about it, as it was somewhat of a mystery when I got it. I eventually got in touch with Orbit themselves, and even though their records only go back around 17 years, were able to identify it from the photos I sent them. I've also been in contact with Keith Noronha at Reynolds so i can order some 531c tubing decals. I've had to email plenty of pics, as they won't sell me anything unless they know it's genuine. This is understandable, but when I needed some 531 Magnum decals for my Dawes Edge a few years back, I just rang them to enquire and they sent them straight out.

I recently acquired a full 600 tricolour groupset from Gmac123 on here(including some really nice wheels), so that will be fitted soon. Had to buy a 600 headset though. Definitely thinking silver bars, stem and seatpost. The rest is currently a bit up in the air.

Regards

Marge

IMAG1465 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1468 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1502 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1507 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Re:

The wheels are ice blue Mavic Reflex SUP 36h on 600 hubs. I fitted some Conti GP Classic 700x25s. Really pleased with the wheels, despite the spoke count they're not significantly heavier than the modern Shimano RS21s I got for my Trek Domane. DT spokes too, although only plain gauge. Fitting the wheels allows me to hang the frame in the shed; it's got a really nice paint job I want to look after.

IMAG1529 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1530 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1531 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1532 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1533 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1534 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Re:

Fitted some of the transmission the other day. Both derailleurs and the chainset. At 655 grams, I can't believe how light the 600 chainset is. Bit of a shame about the scratches to the non-drive side, not sure how that happens either. Might get some Autosol on it, see if it takes the worst off.

Both mechs look good, especially the rear. I've been a fan of the 600 tricolour stuff since I took up cycling, and I'm not disappointed with it so far. Accepting the fact that I haven't actually ever ridden a bike with it on....yet
IMAG1551 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1552 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Bought a tan coloured Charge Spoon for it, or 'hipster brown' as LGF calls it. Bar tape will be the same colour. Cables too, if I can find brake and gear outers that are the same make, and therefore the same colour. I'm hoping it'll match the tyres well. Had a nice polished ITM stem already that should give me the right ride position. I already had the seatpost too, but it's too short. New one, and some Cinelli bars on the way.
IMAG1553 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1554 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Regards

Marge

Re:

From one unremarked poster to another...that looks a super frame! Can't wait to see it completed with decals and all. Reynolds 531C is IMO super. It's good to read that you took the trouble to confirm with Reynolds. Most people will just buy a set of aftermarketrdecals and stick 'em on! And your'e right about Shimano 600 - it is excellent kit too!

Good luck and fair wind with your rebuild.

Re: 1991 Orbit Illusion

Those Orbit frames can come up pretty light too. ISTR My 531 America weighs 1760 grams. I was using it as a sort of gravel bike because 28mm tyres would fit, but decided it might be too delicate for off-roading so built up something more suitable.

Re:

Thanks for the comments guys. I talked to both Reynolds and Orbit today; the 531c frame and fork decals are now on order, and the Illusion decals must've got lost in the post! Doug from Orbit sent them first class around ten days ago. Another top job from the royal mail...

Regards

Marge

Re: 1991 Orbit Illusion

This looks like it will turn out nicely :)

I'm not sure about the "hipster brown", but check out Mrs Foz's bike here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=295626

I couldn't find brake and gear outer in brown, so fitted brown heatshrink over standard white outers. Works really well!

Re:

The drops arrived the other day. Cinelli Criterium 65-44. Suitably retro look and shape, but it remains to be seen whether I get on with them or not. Fitted the STIs too, like all of the 600 groupset they're in good condition. Bit of the chrome plating starting to tarnish, and the clear coating over the logos has gone a bit yellow.

Managed to find a set of brown brake and gear outers, got some brown leather look bar tape ordered too. Not much left to do really, hopefully it'll be rideable in a week to ten days. We'll see.......

Regards

Marge

IMAG1595 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1602 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1603 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1604 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Re:

Hooked up the brakes today. These are in excellent condition. One of the springs has started to corrode, but that's all. I hope they stop as good as they look.
IMAG1619 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1620 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

IMAG1621 by Toby Taylor, on Flickr

Not much more to do now, hook up the gears, fit the chain, pedals, bar tape, stickers and set it up properly.

Regards

Marge

Back