531 Forks?

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Have a c. 1983/4 Raleigh Quasar (501 Aero main triangle and possibly chain-stays), looking for a set of 531 forks to replace the steely ones - unless there's any way of telling if they might already be Reynolds? The bike's been delightfully powder-coated so will be grit blasted for a repaint next week, so the fork colour's no matter (nor the condition - within reason!). Frame size is 53cm c-t. Also looking for a Weinmann front rim for same, black, concave version, 36 spoke, 700c. Preferably one not ridden into a kerb with a flat spot like my one has (not guilty, btw)...

I didn't even think you could flat spot a concave.

If your fork is original to the frame (sloping crown that more or less hides perfectly behind the brake) it'll be normal steel.

Someone must have really aimed hard, even the mechs at the (really, really good lbs) said "nah, can't fix that".
And the fork? Looks exactly as you describe.
Cheers Bats.
So, looks like forks and rim still needed...

Re:

my Kenevans forks here have reynolds stamped on the steerer tube and 531 on the back of one fork leg

Attachments

• ken fork (2).jpg
    ken fork (2).jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 844
Re:

Hey, cheers latman, will look out for those once the frame's striped (living in hope :) ) and good to know what to spot when I do come across a proper set of forks.

Ah, got it, appreciate that. Complicated? Phew, I had no idea...
Ok, so (anyone?) how (without the obvious stickers, missing from the start) do you tell the difference between the gauges? The bare frame (grit blasted clean) now weighs 2000 / 2020g (53cm c-t-c). Appreciating it's really only a first-world problem, but I'm curious to know all the same :)

Back