New to me - sixties - Cyril Wren

Sundayjumper

Specialized Fan
I normally hang out in the mountain bike section of the forum, that was more my era ! But this has come into my collection now and I felt it needed a post. Cyril Wren ran a small shop in Kingston upon Thames from the thirties (originally called Clubman Cycles) until the late sixties when fashion, the economy, and cars suddenly being affordable to the masses conspired to put cycling into a massive decline and the shop was forced to close.

This wasn't one of the semi-mass-produced Holdsworths etc. of the time though, this was a special order for Cyril himself, built by Wally Green as a kind of "last hurrah" before the shop closed down.

cyril1.jpg

cyril2.jpg

cyril3.jpg

cyril4.jpg

cyril5.jpg

David Vines owns another "Cyril" and has written an article HERE.

But how do I know all this, why do I care and how did I come by the bike ? Cyril was my grandfather. John, interviewed for the article above, is my Dad. This bike is my own very, very personal connection to the cycling world of the past and has (obviously) gone right to the top of my list of "bikes I will never part with" ! It's in really good condition for its age and doesn't need any restoration aside from a good clean and some new tyres before I can take it for a spin. Thankfully I've inherited his tall genes and it's just my size :)

If anyone reading this here, or passing by in Google, has another Cyril, or anything at all relating to the bikes or the shop then please get in touch ! Cyril passed away about 20 years ago and detailed records of the business were lost long before so anything at all would be very gratefully received.

Steve.

Now that's a classy bike :)

I think we all have bikes or kit we will never ever part with. This is my never, ever part with ......

v8mnfn.jpg

Shaun

Great looking bike used to cycle down Kingston rd myself a few years ago going for a spin around Richmond park I can imagine that bike has been there on few occasions in its lifetime. It must be amazing to have such a link to the past. Will you be respoking the wheels on this looking forward to your updates and thanks for sharing.

Back