PDM Concorde Team Issue

jackosbournesnr

Senior Retro Guru
Tuesday lunchtime was a fraught time... Overnight, I'd been watching​ a PDM Concorde that nobody was bidding on.

The description was relatively vague and the photos fairly minimal... just a full frame shot of each side, and close-ups of the BB, fork crown and brake bridge. Enough for me though...

A last minute bid went and I won what I believe is a genuine team issue Concorde from the earlier half of the PDM team era.

Its got several key indicators of it being a team bike:

SLX tubing
Reinforced fork
External cable routing
Cinelli spoiler bottom bracket shell with slots cut in it
No model/type decal on the top tube

_3%201_zpsyzurxxgy.jpg

IMAG0793_zpsq7hgvtjy.jpg

IMAG0794_BURST002_zpsytfhvjah.jpg

IMAG0795_zpsbswctlhw.jpg

Deep clean and a quick "test" polish tomorrow to gauge how much work the paintwork needs

Re:

Very nice score, don't think I've seen the brand name on back of the seat tube on the regular frames. Paint looks like it will polish nicely, they have a very high quality paint. Will follow this with interest.

Bart

I'm delighted to have got this.

Couldn't resist giving it a quick spray and wipe... its filthy!

The paint is obviously oxidised, so a lot of dirt has become ingrained. I think all it will need though is a wash, a careful T-Cut (metallic) and a good bath and buff with silicon polish.

The chrome is great with only tiny spots of surface rust. Diet coke and tinfoil are ready and waiting.

At this moment I have no idea what I'm going to equip this with but I think it deserves the best of either current or vintage.

Re:

Signing in to watch the build and generally take the pi$$.

SLX could indicate that this was a 'classics' bike, this is what I read when I was researching my Lemond TSX.

Looking forward to this one.

I'm looking forward to this one too!

I'm going to take my time with it though... however strong the tempatation to chuck major cash at a full Record Gruppo may be.

Then again, I might strip the shiny Centaur group off my "First Love" Bianchi (the one thats been hanging up in a shed for 2 years completely unloved) and just get this baby on the road. Given I still need to road test the other Concorde though, that would, obviously, be a silly idea...

SLX could indicate a classics bike, but I'm happy with it being a team issue bike regardles of whether or not it has done a Grand Tour.

Have done the deep clean and T-Cut and left some Rustin's Rust Remover to do what it does and remove some rust.

There are a few scrapes and chips in the white paintwork that would probably disappear with some careful touching up. The anthracite also has a few chips, but matching it might be challenge.

Full set of Columbus decals required, but overall condition is good.

Paint around the bottom bracket isn't so great... Not now that I've chipped it trying to get the drive side fixed cup out.

There was a liittle bit of rust hiding underneath so just the merest touch from a slipping spanner was enough to make some big chips.

I guess I'm going to be mixing paint after all.

I couldn't get the cup out, so its a trip to the local shop next weekend. The bearings need serviced so theres no chance of just sticking a chainset on and going for a blast. :cry:

Re:

Such is a nature of the beast.

Whenever I think a build is going to be simple and straightforward, it isn't.

Still, if a job's worth doing........

Back