Dave Lloyd, with a difference

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
One or two of you may know that I have a bit of a thing for Dave Lloyd frames, I don't quite have one of everything he made (and some he didn't make), but a I have a few... OK I have five, now six.

Up until my fellow Lloyd enthusiast and master detective Simon (Si_33) chanced upon a couple of little single page Lloyd brochures from around 1996/7 for sale on ebay and kindly let me have one, I had never heard of the DL Quantum 650. I knew Dave made 650C wheeled bikes, the 800 Tri was on the list of available frames in the early 1990's, but the Quantum 650 was a new one on me, and here it was in the brochure. Simon then found a review of Dave's own Q650 in a magazine (Cycling Plus) from 1996 which he scanned and e-mailed to me, and at that moment a lightbulb came on... dimly I'll admit, but on never the less, I had seen this bike.

DL%201.jpg

I searched here, I searched other forums and for sale columns and then I looked on ebay, as I do every morning, and there it was.

And here it is, at least here is an example to identical specification (Deda Zero tubeset) and dimensions to the one reviewed but with the addition of a second pair of bottle cage mounts.

It needs a good clean up, but it all looks sounds including the chrome which only has a few spots of rust, soon dealt with using Autosol.

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

Those of you who are fleet of eye will spot the major added bonus, a Royce bottom bracket.

Dave's original bike was built to be as light as possible and to this end wore a pair of titanium forks which I am highly unlikely to be able to reproduce so I will try and find something in carbon to do the job or failing that chromed steel. The rest of the bike will be built as closely as possible either to the original build, or at least the spirit of it, replacing rare X-Lite seatpost with an in stock USE, using a steel cassette where Dave used an alloy Campag, combined brake / shifters where Dave used friction down tube etc.

This bike has the name Geoff Weir on the top tube, I have seen pictures of what looks like a Concept 90 in 753 in the same colour scheme but with the name Stan(?) Stephenson (sp) on the top tube. Who these guys are / were I have no idea but it would be nice to find out.

So, once again the poor Lemond get's put back again while I dive off at another obscure tangent.

And yes Mike, white bar tape. :facepalm:

Si_33":3seru642 said:
I should add that the Quantum 650 article I sent you was found on Dave Yates website... comparing Dave Lloyd's Quantum 650 to Dave Yates' 753 Service De Course.

That's excellent Simon, thanks for both the article and the link.

Re:

That's a thought, most of the carbon forks come from there anyway.

Frame all polished up and looking good. It has been used, but not very much.

Back