Cougars in Captivity

jackosbournesnr

Senior Retro Guru
I'm a new poster round here but have been a regular viewer of the threads involving terry Dolan era Cougars.

I got my first one early last year and, well... I'm hooked.

Number 1 was pretending to be a Flying Scot when I got it from a work colleague... a bit of research showed me that underneath was (technologically at least) a better frameset than the scot, and so it began...

Attachments

• Cougar Scot.jpg
    Cougar Scot.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Ready to spray.jpg
    Ready to spray.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Test set up.jpg
    Test set up.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,930
  • Ready to Roll.jpg
    Ready to Roll.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 1,931
Roll on a few months and this one got spotted on ebay...

As a Bianchi owner for nearly 30 years, there's no way I could resist that Celeste and fluoro orange mix!

Attachments

• Wild Cougar.jpg
    Wild Cougar.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,924
  • Cougar 2 in the Raw.jpg
    Cougar 2 in the Raw.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,923
Re:

That's it, you've shamed me into building mine up next week. Fingers crossed it won't take long but I'll upload some pics over the week.

I set a Cougar free.
Reynolds 531 Professional tubing, setup with Dura Ace 7700, 9 speed.
Understood to be a Terry Dolan build, it has matching frame & fork serial numbers.
Beautiful to ride.

Attachments

• Cougar_DuraAce_7700_Aug_2017_V2.jpg
    Cougar_DuraAce_7700_Aug_2017_V2.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 1,541
Re:

I have resisted long and hard and tried to stay loyal to my beloved Dave, but it was inevitable and I had to admit it to myself, and so......

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

I'm really glad I did not get it for the price I bid on ebay, it would have been sacrilege for a frame this good to be sold so ridiculously cheap.

It ain't light, but it is beautifully put together and the paint / finish is just so 90's and so in keeping with my Concept 90, I am going to have to figure out how to ride them both at the same time.

Retromod build (and its own thread) with lots of carbon I think, even maybe deep carbon rims.

jackosbournesnr":1jlnn5oe said:
That's lovely. I'm guessing late 80's with a low serial number?

The serial number is 4870, not quite sure when that dates it, but I thought mid to late eighties would be about right.

I have two with serial numbers in the high 7000s and low 8000s which cross referenced work out as late 93/ early 94.

I'm guessing output was fairly low... Probably less than a thousand per year?

Re: Here's mine

54cm Columbus SLX NEW with a full campagnolo Daytona groupset.
Doesnt get out much!

Cheers

Back