eBay find *now painted*

JSH

rBotM Winner
Took a punt on this Rourkie that had been listed as a "gents road bike" I bid £130 and won. I wasn't expecting much and thought that was about the frame value if it was rust free and straight. Pleased to discover a pretty much mint C-Record headset, chrome stay and ends are excellent condition and Cinelli bars and stem also in good nick.

The plan is to get Jason Rourke to refinish it - I need to think about a colour, then decide what to build it with

Attachments

• IMG_5064.JPG
    IMG_5064.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,165
  • IMG_5063.JPG
    IMG_5063.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,165
Re: eBay find

biggs682":255opf46 said:
why refinish that beauty
Because there's plenty of chips scrapes and surface rust. Way too much to touch up - it just happens that the bit in the close up is pretty clean. The Ferrari yellow is an acquired taste too :D

I've been pondering on what to do with this. I was originally thinking 8 speed Dura Ace but I need mechs, shifters and rims (everything else I have) and it's looking expensive to finish (sound familiar?) I think it's a case on taking my time to harvest DA parts

I've started thinking about a retro-mod project - old school 531 frame with Campag Potenza 11 speed - I can get a groupset for £470 in the sales and I have a spare set on Mavic Ksyrium Elites.

JSH":108bpssb said:
I've been pondering on what to do with this. I was originally thinking 8 speed Dura Ace but I need mechs, shifters and rims (everything else I have) and it's looking expensive to finish (sound familiar?) I think it's a case on taking my time to harvest DA parts

I've started thinking about a retro-mod project - old school 531 frame with Campag Potenza 11 speed - I can get a groupset for £470 in the sales and I have a spare set on Mavic Ksyrium Elites.

Personally I would hold out for DA.

I can count on one hand the amount of retro / modern builds I have seen that that look any good.

That's just my opinion though, at the end of the day it's your bike and if you are happy with it don't worry about other people.

For what it's worth, I would respray it!!

Matt_wood55":2irh0ad2 said:
JSH":2irh0ad2 said:

Personally I would hold out for DA.

I can count on one hand the amount of retro / modern builds I have seen that that look any good.

That's just my opinion though, at the end of the day it's your bike and if you are happy with it don't worry about other people.

For what it's worth, I would respray it!!
It will definitely go in for paint. I'm thinking of cream with metallic ruby panels and headtube.

The frame was built originally wil a 130mm OLN so it's a mid 90s frame. DA 7401/7410 would be about right 1994-96 but finding mechs that are good nick and reasonable money is tough a there's just not enough about.

Once it's painted, I can swap group sets from wintage to newer and back again.. I just have a hankering for an steel frame with silver Potenza and Ritchey classic alloy finishing kit

Re:

hi have you been in touch with rourkes for a price on your respray yet. i had a full respray done by them about 4 years ago,at a price of £125. the price was ok with me as i had always been in and out of rourkies since a teenager drooling over stuff in there in there old shop before where they are now,so i expected a mint job.

after a month of waiting for that phone call to say its ready i picked it up but my heart sank when he passed it over (to late as i paid up front :facepalm: :facepalm: ) ok so the bike i took in was not a rourke but was a very nice early 90s orbit 450 sp. i picked the nicest colour i could find in their books a lovely burnt yellow gold metallic.

i looked at my receipt which said frame restoration and respray, there was some pitting under the bottom tube when i dropped it off to them which you would expect them to fine filler before any paint but they just went straight over it. it didnt matter what i said as it was to be expected that it would never be mint they said.

just thought i would put you in the picture before you commit with them. needless to say i now do my own repaints having been trained to a degree by a friend who is a professional sprayer.i use custom mixed aerosols(yes rattle cans)from B AND S SUPPLIES in cobridge and produce better looking results in my honest opinion

Re:

i second that!! or ellis briggs, also mercian either one and not crazy prices. one of these three is going to get my 1959 pennine

Back