Dura Ace or C - Record thats the question.

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
So ........

I'm about to start a build that Ive been wanting to do for a while, a Team Raleigh Banana replica. Ive found a period correct Raleigh SBDU Services De Courses in my size. Its the 531c Model rather than the 753 one but aesthetically looks the same. Its going to have a few alterations such as moving the brake cable guides, adding a number tag and adding a front mech braze on so that it looks identical to the team bike.
I may also keep with the elution by putting 753 decals on it as per the team one, not decided on this yet. But if I do, I look at it as its my bike and I'm not trying to con any one rather just creating a replica. Id also make sure if ever it was sold the 753 decals came off.

So back to the question, do I build it to the 88 team spec with Dura Ace or to the 89 spec with C - Record. I think to do it to the standard I want it will cost me about the same either way and take just as long.

What are peoples thoughts ?

Re:

I wouldn't have thought you could do C-Record for anything like the cost of Dura Ace?

If it's gonna be a rider then DA, otherwise C-Rec.....

It will be a rider but only a fair weather rider,

Dura Ace in NOS condition seems to be as expensive as C - Record. There is also a guy the polishes and re-pantos the c - record to an amazing level.

I have a feeling that Dura Ace would be more useable than the c -record just going on how hard it was setting up the c - record on the castorama I did.

Re:

Have done a dura ace and c record build this year, Deltas will be main difference in pricing, rest of dura ace is slightly cheaper and bit easier to find than c record. Also depends on which generation c record you go for. 1st gen cranks and derailleurs are rarer/ more expensive.

It's a thankless question on here! My opinion is that aesthetically , C-Record is far and away prettier. I have a NOS condition complete 1st gen group with 2nd gen deltas. I've got some DA7400 and it looks industrial by comparison - but I do want build it up though. I Would have thought C -Rec was more expensive though?

Back