BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi retro road folk ;)

Had an early present from Santa today.

WP_20161201_15_04_03_Pro by Michael Murray, on Flickr

I outed it here, reluctantly, then decided to buy it before someone else did! :facepalm:

Unsure of year, but I will e-mail Bob Jackson, to see if they can give me an idea of it's age. I'd guess at late '80s or early '90s. There's been some heat applied to the l/h rear dropout. Mysterious, as it doesn't look like it was bent. :?

Now, what to do. I have several options, retromod not being one of them.

I could either strip one of two of my other bikes and use the groupset/wheels from that. Selling the other frameset afterwards.

Sell a more modern bike to fund another groupset, wheels etc.

I don't like to use identical groupsets on my road bikes, so maybe a pre tricolour Ultegra (600? arabesque?) I'm really not sure what is what with earlier Shimano groupsets.

Campagnolo is not an option.

Let's hear your thoughts, please

Mike

Re:

Blimey Mike, I'm surprised you still have any room for more bikes! :LOL: Always nice to see a bit of British Steel.

Re: Re:

andyz":27aazfci said:
Blimey Mike, I'm surprised you still have any room for more bikes! :LOL: Always nice to see a bit of British Steel.

Which is why I'm leaning towards selling a frameset and using the groupset from it Andy.

I have next week off, so may get it built then. In time for our regional ride ;)

Can you make it?

Mike

Re: Michael's Jackson

And another bike mike Jesus your the luckiest man I know strip another bike for bits mate :LOL:

Re:

Never thought of those!

Which is best?

Think New Success is shinier IIRC, didn't Tonton Tapis use that g/set BITD?

is it hard to get hold of a full bikes' worth ?

Suntour, hmmmmm. Buckler?

Mike

Re:

Looking at both groupsets now on eBay. You buggers! Lol

Not seen any 175 cranks yet, or much of anything, really.

Early Ultegra? With non-aero brake levers?

Or I think one of my bikes may be getting le chop!

Mike

Re: Michael's Jackson

Take the road less trodden, forget the Shimano retroclones. Seek out the lost lamented deities of the eighties. Suntour Superbe Pro.

Back