Smooth riding Harry Quinn... what makes it ride like this?

LukeFRC

Dirt Disciple
So a while ago I decided that my bike built around a to-big Raleigh SPD 531c frame was too big...

So I sold that and picked up a late 70's Harry Quinn - in my size in 531 - it had belonged to an old 90 year old and he had ridden it every day - it was in great condition, 6 speed cassette and had more "modern" brakes - which I know the vintage afficiandaos would look down on - but were nice as it stopped.

I decided to strip it down and 'upgrade' it with the Campag parts off my old bike... Which went well till I found that a frame built 27 inch wheels with space for mudguards wouldn't even think about 700c wheels!
:(

So back to how I got it the Harry Quinn went, and then I took it for a ride. Not having ridden a bike with the change on the down tube before it was a very different riding experience - but boy was it fun to ride- so so smooth and relaxing - I don't know how to describe it.

I picked up a bargain Merckx super corsa for myself and was going to sell the Harry Quinn... till my wife stole it and started taking it to work - again she found it quick and just a relaxing ride (if not having anywhere for her panniers)

What makes the ride on this bike so good?
Reason being we're thinking of selling the wife bike and the HQ and getting her something else - but she really likes the ride of the HQ and wants to keep it- and we don't want to end up with her or something twitchy she doesn't like.

No idea what or why but 27" wheeled bikes made by a quality builder are so good to ride .

I have just picked up a Lomas bike and like yours has had loads of use over its 30+ years but it rides like it has just been made .

see G.E.R Lomas

The ride characteristics generally depend on the frame angles, the curve of the forks, the gauges of tubing used for the main frame and forks, and the characteristics of the tubing. Low temperature brazing can make a huge difference in the 'life' of the frame too.

Aa for fitting 700c wheels on a frame built for 27s, that's rarely a problem. The difference in the wheel radius is only 4mm. Brakes such as Mafacs will cope easily with that variation.

More relaxed frame angles & longer wheel base, longer chain stays & fork curvature also produce a smoother /comfy ride

I think the forks with the sharp curve at the bottom (as opposed to fashionable 'stiff' forks that ride like jackhammers) is a huge part of it.

Back