1982 Raleigh Competition 12......needing some TLC

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
After buying, restoring and then selling a Carlton Corsair recently I've been bitten by the old British steel racer bug. Browsing the ad pages over the last few weeks I came across an ad for a "mens old racer" - a really bad advert with no details and a couple of out of focus images of a white racer. The thing that caught my eye was the brown suede saddle - typical of late 70's/early 80's Carltons/Raleighs.

Doing a bit of googling I'd narrowed it down to a Raleigh Competition.....so I got in contact with the seller and arranged a viewing. Still a bit of a punt at this stage as they were less than forthcoming with additional info or photos so I just decided to have a trip up the a12 to go and have a look.

Turns out it is a Raleigh Competition 12 - from 1982, 531 butted tubing and is in completely stock original condition, right down to the cotton bar tape, tyres (admittedly shot) and Weinmann brake blocks & brake hoods. Full Campagnolo gear set and Sakae chainset don't show any wear and even the pedals spin smoothly with no play (usually a sign that a bike hasn't had a lot of use in my experience).

I think it's been stood outside for a short while (paintwork chips and bolt heads are rusty) and it has a few chips and scuffs to the paintwork but I think this one is going to restore really really well......and at 60cm it's the right size for me to ride too!

A bit of haggling with the seller and I drove away with it in the boot of the car for a reasonable price.......happy days.

Anyway - some pics......going to treat this to a complete strip down and full service.

Spokesmann":2oyay0w0 said:
Essentially taking over from the Carlton Pro am.

Yeah I've been watching a few scabby looking Calton Pro-Ams on eBay over the last week but they've all been over the price that I wanted to pay (especially for the condition they're in). I really like them.....

Fabulous - my first proper bike was exactly that model Competition although I seem to remember it had black saddle and 'bar tape as per the online scans of the 1982 catalogue at bulgier.net and the VCC. I could be wrong though as it was a few ago....

Mark.

Spent a bit of time and money on my Pro am...
PA097006_zps4lhb4a6y.jpg

Spokesmann":1n6qyd34 said:
Spent a bit of time and money on my Pro am...
PA097006_zps4lhb4a6y.jpg

Oooo.......I like that. Have you got a project thread for it?

daccordimark":1n6qyd34 said:
Fabulous - my first proper bike was exactly that model Competition although I seem to remember it had black saddle and 'bar tape as per the online scans of the 1982 catalogue at bulgier.net and the VCC. I could be wrong though as it was a few ago....

Mark.

Yeah....the bar tape looks like it was possibly black once but I can't see how the saddle was ever black....it wouldn't fade from black to brown would it? As you say the scans and spec sheet all say/show black suede for the saddle.

First issue sorted.....

When I put the bike in the back of the car after buying it I removed the front wheel but it was clear that the quick release had seized up - the cam released but I couldn't unwind the nut.

Had a look at it last night and managed to shear off the nut end - and at this point it was clear that the spindle was seized solid inside the hub.

Luckily with a bit of disassembly, managing to shear off the other end and a bit of heat and tapping with a hammer and punch I've managed to removed the QR shaft from the hub....

Anyone got a spare Spidel front quick release? ;)

stevevw":8eyogfm6 said:
You do not know your own strength.

Haha....I'm tuff, me. (there may have been some tools involved too!).

Strong enough to manage to unscrew the rear sprockets using 2 chain whips and unscrewed the freewheel off the hub tonight - woo hoo......freewheel disassembled ready for fresh grease too. Nearly punched myself in the face when the sprockets finally let go.

Pics to follow. :)

Back