Retromod 1955 Royal Enfield Superlight. Opinions wanted: )

viscount

Old School Hero
Just prepping my 1955 RE Superlight before it gets a repaint.
Winter project & I'm looking for opinions/suggestions before I go ahead.

Frame was originally a pale flamboyant green in roughish condition, but I painted it (rattlecan) black to see how it would look.

Just built it up with modern-ish Weinmann Carrera brakes, NOS Raleigh 46 tooth chain-wheel, & Sturmey Archer FM hub in a 700 alloy Alesa rim. Randonneur bars & TTT stem, Brooks saddle & cream Panaracer tyres, pedals. Intending to use a cream Turbo saddle to keep the theme.

Great head-badge & proof it is RE. Check the BB with its flash welded joints: )
You won't see another with that detail. (Daytons had more then just BB flash welded)

Originally it had 26 x 1 1/4" steel wheels, but 700s fit with enough clearance for guards.
Alloy rims with good brakes = a good modern machine IMHO.
Retro-mod in my language. Classic retro frame with modern components. I think that is the best solution for retro frames.

Opinions, thoughts please: )

Lose those dreadful tyres. Cloth tape would be better. Rat trap pedals with toe clips.

Re:

Have to agree with Spokesmann on this one. Panaracer do some nice tan wall tyres which would look much better.
At the moment it kind of looks like a fixie, but maybe that's what you intended.
Anyway the other bits are pretty good.

Thanks for comments.
Well I do like the Panaracers, but tyres are easily changed, & I could also modify the colour.
It'll likely get a cotterless BB in order to use an alloy chain-wheel & a lighter saddle It's weighing in at 28lbs currently!

I'm building it for a family member who wants a distinctive machine.

Latest posts

Back