2016 Frame with 1990s C Record

Merlin

Old School Hero
Realising that I had enough old Campagnolo parts to equip a whole bike I built a new frame, roughly based on a 1990 Merckx Corsa Extra. Stainless steel was used instead of chromium plating for the forks and chainstays.

I have an aero seat post somewhere but I could not find it yesterday in time to get out riding before the sun set.

Attachments

• DSC01000red.JPG
    DSC01000red.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 1,467
Lovely!

I have 1/2 an Athena '88 groupset and fancied a new Wilier or Colnago Steel frame...

...but then common sense prevailed.

good for you!

Re:

Thank you for the kind comments! Of course, if you buy a new Wilier or Colnago you have something with a definite value which you can sell on at some point. If you make your own frame you just have a frame by an unknown builder. There is, however, a special feeling about going fast downhill on a frame and forks and wheelset you have built yourself.

Re: Re:

Merlin":12s8t2o2 said:
Thank you for the kind comments! Of course, if you buy a new Wilier or Colnago you have something with a definite value which you can sell on at some point. If you make your own frame you just have a frame by an unknown builder. There is, however, a special feeling about going fast downhill on a frame and forks and wheelset you have built yourself.

If it were one I'd built myself, that feeling would not be a particularly comfortable one!!

Very nicely put together retro/modern cross.

Re: Re:

Merlin":2rysbz8r said:

If you have a frame built by Wilier or Colnago you have a instantly replacable frame which has no special memories attached until you have owned it for a long time.

If you build it yourself you have a instant connection with a bike that really is your own.

I'd rather do it your way. I may yet...

Stick Legs":1o5s5sis said:
Lovely!

I have 1/2 an Athena '88 groupset and fancied a new Wilier or Colnago Steel frame...

...but then common sense prevailed.

good for you!

:LOL: :LOL:

Back