1988(?) Dawes Shadow

Spokeydokey

Retro Newbie
So is my first real foray into retro bikes but I'm addicted already. I was in need of a reliable winter commuter bike that had the potential to be used for longer rides and a bit of light touring. I've been using a 2015 model Dawes Discovery 201EQ with a 22" frame but it's just too big for me so it's up for sale. I really wanted an old Galaxy but sadly no chance on my budget.

My budget was extremely tight (£80 max) and I wanted drop bars and a steel frame so I picked up this Dawes Shadow from a guy local to me who got it at an auction but had no use for it himself.

s-l1600.jpg

The Dawes Shadow was a "sports" bike or low-end tourer. I think this model dates from roughly 1987-1990 (can't find a catalogue from that year to check the exact details for this version) but it's in excellent condition. Hardly a mark or scratch on it. It needs new tyres and bar tape but that's probably all I need to spend on it. There's also a really terrible 1980s plastic bike speedometer that runs on the front wheel like dynamo. It'll have to come off along with the light holders and I've got an old Raleigh rack to put on for attaching my panniers.

Apart from the fact they were a poor man's Galaxy back in the 1980s (and still are today in my case), does anyone else know much about these bikes? I've trawled the web but there's not loads out there for historic Dawes bikes that aren't Galaxies.

Back