Raleigh Dynatech Lo Pro Finished

Penfold6290

rBotM Winner
Hi folks, well after a huge amount of prevarication and general laziness I have finally finished the Raleigh Dynatech Lo Pro TT bike, just in time for the end of the TT season...

In a previous post I pondered having it repainted, some of you will be glad to hear that I am going to leave it as it is because let's face it, its purple paint job just screams 1990 at you and I've grown to like it. So, what have I bolted on to it -

Campagnolo Athena 7 speed RD
Campagnolo C Record FD - soon to be replaced by proper band-on item (anyone got a nice Athena or Chorus FD?)
Campagnolo C Record chainset 53/42 170mm
Campagnolo C Record BB
Campagnolo C Record Delta 4 pivot
Campagnolo C Record Power Grade levers
Campagnolo C Record Syncro II levers
Campagnolo Record headset
Campagnolo Omega 19 650C front wheel, 28 hole radial spokes, Ambrosio Hub (plus an identical spare)
Wolber TX Profil rear wheel, 36 hole, C Record hub (I'm looking for a matching 32 hole Campagnolo Omega 19 for the rear)
Michelin Hi Lite tyres - 700x23 Super Comp HD & 650x20 Hi Lite Comp
Regina America 7 speed freewheel, 12-18
Regina chain
ITM stem
ITM bull horn handlebars
ITM tri bars (I think)
Miche seat post (Campagnolo aero seat posts are too short)
Turbo saddle
Look PP256 pedals

My Dynatech Castorama replica (former RBoTM) donated its rear wheel, saddle, crank, brake calipers, chain and RD, all the other bits were bought for this bike. I use an Athena RD rather than a C Record RD because it indexes far better, very well indeed in fact. The decision to use a modern Ambrosio front hub followed weeks of searching for a C Record 28 hole front hub which turned up nothing. I also bought a Campagnolo compatible 9/10/11 speed 28 hole Ambrosio rear hub at the same time as I intend to have the second 650C rim made into a rear wheel for a road bike for my daughter, in a year or three!

I am going to ride this next year in some local TTs, from initial test runs it feels very fast and rolls very well. It's not the lightest (10.2Kg) but we're not planning on going up too many hills.

Hope you like it, I have a few bits that came off the frame to sell (Cinelli Champion de Monde 66-42 handlebars, Cinelli 1A stem and Shimano 1051 brake levers) that will be listed shortly.

Cheers, Martin

Untitled by martin.mills28@btopenworld.com, on Flickr

Re:

Looking good but those bars & tribars really make it look ugly but then that what was available in the 90's.......

Re:

Love that! :cool:

As you say, proper '90s colour scheme! Real tt gearing, grippiest tyres at the time, maybe still are.
I like the ITM bars and tribars. Was good enough for Big Mig bitd! Mavic were really nice as well, I had a pair of their tribars. Saw a pair of Mavic lo pro bars at a bike jumble yesterday, but didn't get them.
Hope the next season goes well. There should be a few races left this year, before the hill climb season starts

Mike

Re: Re:

Nob":2rl4l9y9 said:
Looking good but those bars & tribars really make it look ugly but then that what was available in the 90's.......

Agreed they're not the prettiest but as you say you have to go with what is appropriate for the era...

M

Great looking bike! I would not TT on that seatpost though. I'm regularly seeing reports on LFGSS of them snapping at the top. For peace of mind I think you should put a plain post on it.

Nice build
Love the frame, colour and components but not a fan of the aero clip-ons
Lo-pro's usually look better with just bullhorns*, period correct or not

*In my opinion

Martin,
I didn't know you wanted a 28 hole C Record front hub, I have one if you want to rebuild that front wheel? Not nos, but in good condition.
Richie

Back