Carlton Super Course needing some love - car boot find

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Mooching around the carboot sale today and I spotted a guy selling a couple of old unloved racers. The Reynolds 531 stickers drew me to the Carlton that sat in amongst the rusty tools and tatty furniture the guy was flogging.

A chat with the guy and a bit of tyre kicking got me a good price and I wheeled it off to the car......

It's properly unloved. I think it's a barn find as it really doesn't look like it's been used much, there is hardly any wear to the chainrings, it still has original Weinmann branded brake blocks yet it's obviously been stored somewhere damp and has sustained a few knocks and scrapes. Lots of the chrome is knackered and all the spokes on the wheels are toast. Yet the seatpost wasn't seized, the headset all came apart and will be perfectly serviceable with a regrease, the bottom bracket also came apart with no problems and will be good after a re-grease.

The rear sprocket was rusted solid. Soaked in GT85 for half an hour and bit of force applied with a chain whip and it started moving again......flushed through with some more GT85 it even started clicking again like a functioning freewheel! Result.

Some pics prior to stripping down.

Green gunge

Grumbly hubs, rusty spokes

Super Course!

A couple of Raleigh branded components

Reynolds 531 frame and forks

Suntour components

Drilled chainrings, Raleigh cranks

Seat-tube decal

Weinmann brakes and crusty original bartape

Made in Worksop

Suntour Power!

It's way too small for me unfortunately - so the plan is to work through all the components after a strip down, cleaning, regreasing and servicing with an intent to sell on so that it can be enjoyed again.

That's a great project! Will end up really nice when brought back from the edge :)
Nice model and will make a great rider.
What size is it?
Jamie

That can shine again, also easy stuff. Hope to see it looking back to its best soon!

Jamiedyer":1z35i0f1 said:
That's a great project! Will end up really nice when brought back from the edge :)
What size is it?
Jamie

Not sure - it's quite small. I'm 6ft 2" and when I straddled it my missus said it was bordering on comical. Will measure up tonight.....

Spokesmann":1z35i0f1 said:
That can shine again, also easy stuff. Hope to see it looking back to its best soon!

Yep - if it was the right size for me I'd be repainting/re-decalling (seeing as repro decals are available). I think at this point I'll just be cleaning everything as much as I can and recommissioning it. The wheels will be the hardest part to tidy up - the spokes are properly rusted.....they'll need replacing for sure.

Here's how it looks this morning after a complete disassembly and initial paintwork cutback......the only thing I cant remove is the bottle cage - the captive nuts are not so captive any more and are just spinning in the frame :(

Spokesmann":39xjur9g said:
Put a long seat post on it!

There's a danger of looking like Jeremy Corbyn if I do that! How long it that stem!? ;)

In all seriousness I probably will so I can ride it around to set it all up once it's back together.....

Midlife":3o4c3k55 said:
Nice find :). Just out of curiosity what is the frame number?

Shaun

I'll have a look later.

Spent some time today cleaning up the rear derailleur. Might as well start somewhere right? And cleaning up a rear derailleur is really satisfying..... it has got a bent adjustment screw though which I need to replace. Wire wool, fairy liquid and a toothbrush have worked wonders.

Before:

After:

Jamiedyer":m25pm9w0 said:
What size is it?
Jamie

21" c-t

My road bike (old 80's Peugeot) is a 24" so this is a little on the small side.....

Midlife":m25pm9w0 said:
Nice find :). Just out of curiosity what is the frame number?

Shaun

WP1000358

Spent some time last night concentrating on bottom bracket and cranks. Stripped everything down and gave everything a good clean, fresh grease in the bottom bracket and reassembled to the frame. Surprised how good the bb is after cleaning off all the crud. Really doesn't look like it's had much use at all - lockring chrome is a little scabby but the important bearing surfaces are all great.

Cranks are now clean but not polished yet. Raleigh stickers have long since faded away....

Starting to build up onto the frame as I clean bits......

Next up - front derailleur.

Re:

Cracking project, brilliant work so far, amazing job with the rear mech clean up. Looking forward to seeing the finished article, its going to look superb and worth all the effort.

Back