Holdsworth Competition

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
With an impending big birthday (contrary to appearances, not 60th) I 'needed' a new bike (or two) to mark the moment. In advance. As a Libran I spent many happy hours prevaricating but then saw that Olanet X had bought the Holdsworth brand and were doing exact replicas of the Holdsworth Professional, skinny tubes, threaded fork, orange and blue, the lot. My finger hovvered over the 'Buy' button but something stopped me - I had lots of old road bikes in the shed, did I really want to drop a grand on a new replica?

Planet X were also doing a whole load of other Holdsworth stuff including wool jerseys and I saw a modern Holdsworth in the classic team colours but made of Columbus Spirit shaped and manipulated tubing, oversize carbon fork, sloping top tube etc. A germ of an idea was planted - have a bike that pays homage but has all the advantages of top end modern tubing and a groupset that doesn't look out of place. The fact that it was 50% off was merely coincidental. It arrived, it was madly light, I was pleased.

So, here it is, a Holdsworth Competition in Columbus Spirit, full Sram Force groupset, Ultegra wheels (bonus is that the frame easily takes 28s, reckon you could get 30s in there pretty easily), Thomson stem and post, Arione.

Attachments

• P8060357.JPG
    P8060357.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 7,340
  • P8060356.JPG
    P8060356.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 7,337
  • P8060359.JPG
    P8060359.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 7,337
  • P8060358.JPG
    P8060358.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 7,338
  • P8060355.JPG
    P8060355.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 7,340
Re:

Sorry, and I may get Flamed for this but I think "Sandy" Holdsworth would roll over in His Grave if he saw this.

Re: Re:

Wileyone":2f71wrri said:
Sorry, and I may get Flamed for this but I think "Sandy" Holdsworth would roll over in His Grave if he saw this.

Yeah, because all the long-closed manufacturers would have carried on doing exactly what they always did.

Very nice. Very pleasing to the eye – I especially like the curved forks and the Holdsworth colour scheme. I am sure it rides beautifully.

Re:

I confess I like it :cool: but not 100% :facepalm:
Truly I am not sure mixing skinny and big tubing is as elegant as a "total skinny" frame ,
but more, I can't get accustomed to integrated headsets and big fork tube which seem to me more of a "manufacturer ploy" to make perfectly functionning parts "obsolete" and make us swallow some new "fancy stuff" and deplete our bank account ! :idea: :?

Re:

I had the same idea, got this frame set at such a good price, built it up with beautiful Campagnolo...

Attachments

• IMG_20170126_215312.jpg
    IMG_20170126_215312.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6,030
Re: Re:

Wileyone":3b08x3nf said:

+1

Not working for me either I'm afraid :facepalm:

Back