Robert Coble unknown year

bigpantswheels

Devout Dirtbag
[attachment=4]IMG_0372_picmonkeyed.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]IMG_0373_picmonkeyed.JPG[/attachment]I picked up this frame without knowing anything about it other than it was my size. From what I could find out on the internet Coble was a framebuilder in California. This appears it was custom built for someone who was a national champion as the decal on the seatube indicates. Nice lugs with cutouts and Columbus Neuron tubing , very light. When I got the frame it came with a superlight carbon fork that had the wrong rake and made it steer very slowly. I don't know what happened to the original fork but I found a nice 1 in threadless steel Ritchey that works great. Not sure or the year, top tube cable guides would suggest early 90's at the latest but I don't think Neuron tubing came around till maybe 95?. Bike rides like a dream and is pretty light at 8.2 kilos.

Attachments

• IMG_0372_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0372_picmonkeyed.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_0373_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0373_picmonkeyed.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_0375_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0375_picmonkeyed.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0377_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0377_picmonkeyed.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0378_picmonkeyed.JPG
    IMG_0378_picmonkeyed.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 823
Re:

I am the maker of that bike. I did make a matching for for that customer, although I forget who ordered that particular frame.
The serial number should indicate year and what number frame it was from that year. I made quite a few frames a year up to 100. Most were made with other company decals for pro racers.
I do still build once in a while. I own a bicycle shop in Ojai CA.

Nice to see it still on the road !

Robert Coble

I always feel a little bit of joy inside when framebuilders or their children/grandchildren pop up with information. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Re:

It is just so cool when frame builder pop up to say Hi.

Plus the bike is spot on, and the location will have the teenagers amongst us tittering.

Back