Dawes Response restoration complete!

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
Quite straightforward this. Strip completely, clean everything thoroughly and put back together! New headset, seat, tape, cables and tyres. Bottom bracket was fine once cleaned up and wheels running very true and smoothly once stripped and re-greased.

The Dawes Response was around between about 1991 and 1993, this 1992 model selling for £400. 501 tubing, Mavic XP11 wheels and Exage 500 group-set meaning it was a good mid-level road bike of its time.

Rides very smoothly and is quite quick on its 23c tyres once up to speed. Not 100% sure the tape/seat colour works, but as I had a Charge Spoon in Sky Blue I thought I would match up the tape and see what it looked like.

The paint finish has a really nice pattern to it that can only be seen up close. Hopefully the pics will show this. It is 54cm square frame and set up for me, 5'10", to ride in the pics.

Probably up for sale soon!

My 80s Dawes Celeste had the same head tube badge and i'm certain the rear drop out's were identical but yours puts my old Dawes to shame with that gorgeous paint design and lovely components :cool: ..

Back