late 80's Raleigh 531C RACE out of the attic

mAdam

Old School Hero
Currently pedaling around on this when I get the chance (and the weather) pretending I’m 24 years younger! I’ve had the frame for years, and although its slightly too small, missing a few decals, and has the odd scrape and battle scar, its still a quality Raleigh from the good old days in original condition, and floats beautifully. Rather than have it gather dust in the attic, I decided to build the frame up and put a few miles on it. Built using mostly Shimano 600EX pinched from my Peugeot Perthus Pro, which is still under restoration (I have a full 600EX groupset in much better condition waiting as replacement for the Peugeot.) and various other period parts I had going to waste.

With the exception of the gearing (42x21 is a struggle on a lot of climbs!) I’m really enjoying getting out for a blast on the ‘Kingfisher’ and love its retro look.

For now I plan to continue to use the bike as it is, but the temptation to treat it to some new paint & decals is growing stronger! :D

Frame: Raleigh 531c Race 52cm (Pearl kingfisher blue)
Fork: Raleigh 531c
Headset: Tange
Stem: Cinelli XA
Handlebar: Cinelli Criterium
Bar Tape: White cork
Brake Levers: Shimano 600EX
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600EX
Gear Levers: Shimano 600EX
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600EX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Freewheel: Regina 7 speed 13-21
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano 600EX
Chainrings: Shimano 53-42
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 105
Pedals: Time Racing
Rims: Wolber TX Profile
Hubs: Mavic 500
Hub Skewers: Mavic
Tyres: Michelin Dynamic Classic 700x23
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo Matic
Seatpost: SR alloy

42x21 :shock: there was a time when i could climb anything in that gear! Old age is making me consider something more compact!

The frame looks a lot darker in the original Raleigh brochure

That's a really nice looking machine, not sure about the saddle but otherwise, really lovely.
The colour does it for me :) , is that original?

Jamie

martbaischful":zi0uzf7d said:
Great to see you have the original shoes... In great condition... As is the bike

Just be careful the sole doesn't come away from the rest of the shoe... I had this happen to mine whilst on the move......

Re:

Dale cannon":2hojp4kn said:
Great to see some more quality steel out on the NI roads.

Really need to get some group rides organised.

Only problem in this case is, the rider is more retro than the bike! :D not sure i've the legs anymore, but i'm working on it.........

martbaischful":2hojp4kn said:
Great to see you have the original shoes... In great condition... As is the bike

Thanks, i had a couple of pairs back in the day, these ones have had very little use since '89. They are only used to pose in on a nice gentle sunny day ride! :D

Jamiedyer":2hojp4kn said:
That's a really nice looking machine, not sure about the saddle but otherwise, really lovely.

The colour does it for me :) , is that original?

Jamie

Thanks, yes Jamie, its the original colour, its a lot lighter than the Raleigh brochure shows, looks like jade green, although they call it blue?

martbaischful":2hojp4kn said:
Just be careful the sole doesn't come away from the rest of the shoe... I had this happen to mine whilst on the move......

Dread the thought :shock: I have a tattier pair of the grey, red, & black Time shoes like Delgado wore in the '88 TDF that i try to use on most rides........but the red & white ones look so much better :D

Not sure i can generate enough power these days even to destroy 27 year old shoes :D

Back