Tandem, unkown make, 1939?.....More info

Piperdave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So, I have decided to start a thread to document my life with an unknown make of tandem. I will first get it roadworthy, and have a play, then if things go well, and I take to tandeming, it will be the subject of upgrading and eventually a repaint and hopefully correct badging.

There is a thread to try and prompt other tandem owners or experts into being able to identify this bike here

Spec...

Frame: Unknown at present

Fork: see above

Headset: Clip type, 1 1/8" Brampton
Pilot Stem: ? Japanise
Stoker Stem: O/E
Pilot Handlebar:
Stoker Hanlebar: GB stamped '59
Bar Tape:

Brake Levers (Pilot): O/E 2x Mafac "Promotion" (White, with plastic adjusters), now Wienmann Red Dot.
Brake Levers (Stoker): unmarked
Brake Calipers : Centre pull, Front GB "88", Rear Raleigh Weinmann, Now Vainqueur 750 both ends
Brake Pads: Clarke
Brake Cables: Clarke

Rear Drum brake: 95mm drum by Exceltoo
Front Drum brake: Drum by Exceltoo

Shifters: O/E Sachs, Now Huret
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Skylark (introduced in 1974)
Derailleur Cables: Clarke
Cassette: Suntour "Perfect"
Front Chain: 1/8"
Rear Chain: 3/16"
Cranks: Williams
Final Drive Chainring: Williams, Coded ZH (1967)
Tandem Chainrings: Williams, Coded AB (1939)
Bottom Brackets: O/E Chater Lea
Pedals:

Rims: Raleigh
Hubs: Exceltoo
Hub Skewers: N/A
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Schwalbe Delta Cruiser 26" x 1 3/8"
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: Cheap x2
Seatpost: Steel OE
Seatpost Binder:

Bottle Cage:
Extras: Rack

Weight:

Spec edited 16/06/16 with new information and pics :!:

I have started to tidy things up a bit in the following pics....

Front view

Skylark Derailleur

Excelltoo rear brake

Rear B/B and odd construction of frame.

Front B/B with eccentric and grease nipple

Rear chain wheel, Williams, needs some TLC

Front Williams chainset also needs TLC

Pilot seat post and stoker bars setup

Wish I knew what make this was.....

Dave

Re:

The frame style and lugs seem generic. I had considered a Sunn "Wasp", but the pump mount is incorrect...

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1930s/1939 ... sp-tandem/

Other makers that used the same frame configuration all stopped production before any of the dated parts on this tandem appeared.

Freddie Grubb 1927

Claud Butler 1935

Claud Butler 1936

Freddie Grubb 1936

Armstrong 1936

Holdsworth 1939

Claud Butler 1939

The Claud Butler models seem to feature cross-over transmission, but none of them seem to have the unusual rear fork detail that mine has, though it is difficult to see from the catalogue pics.

The 1939 Grubb does have plated lower forks and rear forks, as does mine, but it is a tenuous attribution.

The search goes on, any help greatfully received......

Dave

Re:

Problem with identity: Cast tandem lugs were mainly Brampton or Chater Lea, with Sun also making their own, probably BSA also.
The rear bottom bracket lug looks unusual and distinctive.

A complete set of Brampton lugs and tubing to fit could be bought from Brown Bros the trade wholesalers, so anyone with a brazing torch and skill could have made it.

You have the brazed on bracket for the cyclo twin wire gear which would have been rare after about 1950. I would suggest that would make it between about 1936 and 1948.

Keith

Re:

Thanks Keith, I was hoping it was about that age, but the unusual framework at the rear BB had me wondering.

Dave

Re:

So we keep digging and finding things.

The 1/8" tandem chain wheels are Williams coded AB for 1939. So I suspect that this is when it was made, and the later, 3/32" final drive/ five speed was a later fitment.

I have fitted a spring stabiliser to the forks, to try and damp the wobbling when starting off. Not really retro, but OK.

https://www.velovitality.co.uk/collecti ... stabilizer

Dave

Re:

Snippet of info from a member of the Tandem Club....

"The Excelto hub was recommended and I think supplied by the Tandem club in the mid 70,s as the only hub brake then available for tandem use. I bought and fitted one to a 1953 tandem in 1974, using plain 12 gauge spokes also then supplied by the tandem club. The problem was that they only had 36 spoke drilling and a 12mm axle so you had to file flats into the axle or grind/file away the dropouts in order to get the thing to fit. At the time there was no other kit available, so your bike fits exactly the type of replacement parts used on tandems at that time, remember there were no spares available for the original parts so it all had to be replaced if you wanted to use the bike more than occasionally. "

This fits with the rear mech, and mafac Promotion levers being '70's. Looks like a refit was carried out. Still no closer to the original maker though.

Back