What frame material? - Raleigh R:300

JoeH

Old School Hero
I am now the owner of this ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-R300- ... 7675.l2557

But what is the material?

Seller said steel, the forks have a crown to them...
Frame weighs 1800-1900g on my kitchen scales
Forks weighs 850g

Is there a difference between the R300 & the R:300 (colons)

Just raleigh state it's touring, and it defo ain't touring, no mudguards, rear rack or space. I test fitted a wheel and it's tight racy clearance.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... model=R300

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Looks very similar to my 1999 853.

At that time the R800 was titanium, the R700 was Reynolds 853 and so I guess it went on down the range.

Does it have a frame number under the BB?

Pretty sure this is Aluminium

circa late 90's from memory (the head badge gives it away as being a later Raleigh)

Re:

Slight clarification - now the frame weighs dead on 2kg - managed to balance it on the scales without my finger touching.

Also a magnet is ATTRACTED to the frame...

Frame no under bottom bracket is

'No 6100'

Does that change peoples comments - i thought it was aluminium too, but it definitely attracts a magnet...so steel...but what type and how it's joined (i can tell it's not lugged) i'm not knowledgeable enough to know.

Thanks all
Joe

Re:

It will almost certainly be welded construction, whatever it's made from, even the RSP Reynolds 853 frames were made that way.

Get busy on google, there have got to be more out there.

Thats TIG welded cr-mo (not manganese moly)

Not 100% but good chance it's Reynolds Optima which was a tube set produced exclusively for Raleigh in mid to late 90's.

Re:

Well I found this link which looks very similar to my frame, but with carbon fork.
http://www.lovetoride.talktalk.net/

However I contacted the owner who claimed his was Aluminium - which I trust, so that confuses the matter even more.

Another point - may help those to give an age, my fork dropouts don't have lawyer's lips - when did they come in?

The frame in question is no doubt lighter than a 531 frame, which is why i'm struggling to understand what it is...but perhaps stevecampag is right with reynolds optima...again struggle to find if this was made in a bigger/ovally down tube.

Thanks
Joe

From what you can see there is absolutely no way that's aluminium- look at the size of the weld bead. It's clearly a cr-mo tubeset.

The bike in the other link is an Aeron, a subsidiary of Ridley and were imported by Zyro (who wholesale Cateye, Altura etc), and they ARE aluminium. The only similarity is in the colour scheme.

If you look to the left of his page he has a link to a R:300 - which i asked him about, not his Aeron, (but raligh doesn't change the url)

I agree about weld bead and cr-mo - have to do more reading about it... pros n cons

Back