1994 Bridgestone RB-1

The_Don

Dirt Disciple
Finally picked up a road bike after leaving Japan. There are no velodromes here, so I sold off my Keirin bikes too before moving.

I had been looking for a Klein road bike but saw this little Bridgestone pop up on the local Craig'slist just down the road and I couldn't pass it up as it looked like it had been barely ridden much in its life. It still has the thin plastic film covering the headtube badge! I kind of wish I could have gotten the 1993 model with the Ishiwata tubing, but this rides nicely with a very similar feel to my Vivalo and Samson Keirin bikes ( although riding on the roads is very different than on the smooth track with those step concrete banks.

It has a full Campagnolo Athena group set, with the only issue being the ugly old cycling computer on it.

The seller even included a pair of excellent condition Sidi road shoes as my SPD-SL cleats on my shimano shoes don't quite click in properly (and by chance they were a perfect fit).

With the white bar tape, the only change it might need is a matching white saddle to go with it, maybe a Concours.

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,343
More photos. What to do with that old cycle computer though! it seems like an antique!

I do love the crown on the fork though!

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1,339
  • IMG_1551.jpg
    IMG_1551.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,339
Great find. I'd love to have an RB-1 or an RB-2. That can't be the original build though - I'm pretty sure that GP would have specified some eclectic mix of high end Japanese components on the bike.

Great machine and its in incredible condition. Very lucky find and also very lucky with the shoes :)

Jamie

Rad, I'm currently upgrading my '88 RB2 to period correct Ultegra (from the crappy Exage), there really is something about that Petersen period of Bridgestones, though I have had (and still have) some of the Japanese market ones too from that period and they are all thoroughly well considered bikes.

I'd re-do the bar tape in black, more practical and cheaper!

Jamiedyer":2swcdcb1 said:
Great machine and its in incredible condition. Very lucky find and also very lucky with the shoes :)

Jamie

The Sidi's are awesome, mid nineties and in mint condition which shows how much the bike has been ridden. The frame is perfect save for a few minor scratches in the paint probably due to moving it about in the garage over the years. Will it be hard to repair?

They are the Genius 2 in black with neon green and pink accents! They look so fresh and it seems that 20 years is the fashion cycle frequency because they look like something all the kids would be wearing! Hehehe

Back