1978 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA Build

LukeH

Dirt Disciple
Hello Everyone

This is my first retro road bike project. I have built many, many bikes over the years but never really ventured into a retro road bike build although I have owned and raced on many different road bikes for nearly 20 years.

Anyway, I've started my classic bike collection :D with a 1978 Gazelle Champion Mondial AA-Frame purchased from HerrJ on LFGSS. I actually purchased the full bike below and a smaller and older frame to transfer all the parts over to.

Here is the 1984 bike I purchased complete with Campagnolo Gran Sport groupset. It's a shame the frame is too big as it's in superb condition.

Here is the 1978 AA-Frame I purchased. It has a few paint chips but I'm happy to leave it alone and keep the original paint and decals.

The groupset on the 84' bike is in superb condition but I have decided to polish it all up before I fit it to the 78' frame. Here is my setup that I am using for polishing. Its the first time I have really done any polishing and I am happy with the results so far.

A few work in progress pictures and I will add more as I go along.

The GS brakes had the newer allen bolts so HerrJ kindly sent me a set of older brakes to strip for parts. This is the rear brake halfway through a rebuild. I also took the opportunity to fully polish everything including brake pad holders.

That's all for now.

Luke.

Re:

A few more update pics.

The build is almost complete. I am just waiting for new lever hoods to arrive and some pedals.

looks really good! I'm happy that the frame found a caring new owner. Looking forward to the end result :)

HerrJ":2ou4yao6 said:
looks really good! I'm happy that the frame found a caring new owner. Looking forward to the end result :)

Cheers. I have enjoyed building it.

The hoods are on the way and then all that remains is a wheel true-up, amber wall tyres and retro bottle cage.

Re:

Nice!

I've got a '78 Champion Mondial AA awaiting a respray and build-up. This has got me excited, looking forward to it.

Great job. :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

Beardos":wqdktxic said:
Nice!

I've got a '78 Champion Mondial AA awaiting a respray and build-up. This has got me excited, looking forward to it.

Great job. :mrgreen:

Share some pictures when you do.

I've really enjoyed building this one up and I am happy with the results. It's nice building a bike for once that doesn't cost thousands.

Back