King Cyclocross

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
An unintended consequence of my son's stand at Bespoked and my Friday visit was that the conversation I had with Mark Lemstra on the King Frameworks stand about the very slim tubed CX frame had on the stand ended up with my buying it. This was made even more bizarre because at the time I bought it I was actually on holiday in West Somerset.

So, a week later my daughter came to see me, bringing the frame and forks with her.

The frame is called TwoFace and was actually made 15 years ago. It was the first cx frame Mark made and there have been plenty more since. It is made of.... erm steel tube. Mark told me he bought up lots of old stock at a time when steel frames were becoming less and less popular, hence the skinny profile of many tubes. I will find out exactly what it is, but I guess much of that will depend on Mark's memory.

Those with a sharp eye will see a couple of chips in the red paint; this happened in transit to Bespoked and upset Mark a lot as the frame had only just been repainted for the show. He has some touch up paint and that is on its way to me, so by the time the bike starts to go together the chips will be sorted.... not by me, my mate Darren is a panel beater and sprayer, so I'll get a pro on the job.

Build? Modern cx / gravel.

2 x 10 SRAM Force most likely. FSA canti's, as I already have them, wheels will most likely be Hope hubs, Sapim spokes and tubeless Velocity A23 rims. Stans rims would be peachy but at £30 per rim more expensive than Velocity or DT Swiss..... nuff sed.

That said, I have no fixed ideas and have never build a proper cx bike before, so if you have any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

You can see some more of Mark's work here: http://www.kingframeworks.com/

DSC_0076_zpsabiujyea.jpg

DSC_0074_zpsvmotas7j.jpg

DSC_0073_zpswrpj5dyg.jpg

That looks really lovely, nice colours as well.
Look forward to seeing this one come together and then hearing how it rides :)

Best of luck with it mate

Jamie

Re:

I like that! Cool colours and simple design

Must be the newest frame I've seen with horizontal dropouts.
Look forward to seeing how it builds up , Neil :cool:

Mike

Re:

I'm currently looking at Hope hubs on the bay.

I'm thinking 28 spokes front and 32 rear, I could possibly go a little lighter, but I prefer a little extra weight to a long walk home.

The colours are a little lighter in the flesh, but still an interesting contrast.

I'll have to find the brakes later, they in a jiffy bag, in the garage.... somewhere.

Re:

Certainly a nice contrast in colours. But what bar tape ? Please, not black! :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

Good question. I'll have to give that some thought.

Incidentally, the stem is a repainted Ritchey which is cool, as I like to have at least one Ritchey item on each of my bikes if possible.

Re:

Many thanks DrJo.

What struck me the most when I first saw the frame were the slim tubes combined with canti bosses.

So I asked Mark how he got away with such slim tubes on a touring bike (I know, I didn't spot the absence of bottle bosses) CYCLOCROSS! came the reply. :facepalm:

EDIT: Red bar tape I think. Probably Fizik.

Back