Reg Harris Frame Respray

SullyW5

Old School Hero
Hey All

I always forget to take photos when I refinish a frame so thought starting a thread would help remind me.

Nice little Reg Harris frame here. Not sure but think it's 531. It came my way as a very poor hand paint so have decided to restore. This one is going to be a flamboyant finish (translucent ink over gold base) as that's what it was originally.

If you look closely you can see hints of red over gold near the seat lug and on the fork tube:

Just started stripping today but I will update when new photos are added.

http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Sulleb ... g%20Harris

Attachments

• DSC_0298.jpg
    DSC_0298.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 1,762
  • DSC_0309.jpg
    DSC_0309.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,742
Any thoughts on the seat tube finishing?

Whoever did the hand paint took it back to bare metal there so I don't have any clues. The head tube appears to have been black so I'm thinking a single or triple black band?

More archaeology than stripping today.

Spent 45 minutes!! removing the head badge (toughest riveting I've seen) but found an Olympic band hiding underneath. That helps with identifying the frame.

Also went very gently with the stripping and found some faint traces of paint left on the seat tube. Looks like it originally had two bands of black.

It appears to be the same model as this:

viewtopic.php?t=131633

Anybody have an idea what model that is?? I (stalked) contacted the original poster, Stephen, but he didn't know.

Attachments

• DSC_0315.jpg
    DSC_0315.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,769
  • DSC_0322.jpg
    DSC_0322.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,769
Re:

Stripping almost done. It's quite nicely finished...I wonder who made it?

Attachments

• DSC_0327.jpg
    DSC_0327.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,667
  • DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,668
  • DSC_0329.jpg
    DSC_0329.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,668
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,669
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,668
  • DSC_0332.jpg
    DSC_0332.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,668
Re:

Can't help a bit, but that frame is quite a looker with the beautiful lug work and curved brake stay.

: Mike

Thanks Mike

I'm just grateful to have a reply! Thought this thread was going to turn into "Dear Diary...."

Yeah she's built better than I expected and brazing is quite neat. Early 60's I think but there is very little out there for Reg Harris frames and a couple of possible fakes just to confuse me more.

Ready for etch primer:

Attachments

• DSC_0335.jpg
    DSC_0335.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1,575
SullyW5":2t7afw1s said:
Thanks Mike

I'm just grateful to have a reply! Thought this thread was going to turn into "Dear Diary...."

Yeah she's built better than I expected and brazing is quite neat. Early 60's I think but there is very little out there for Reg Harris frames and a couple of possible fakes just to confuse me more.

Ready for etch primer:

Thank you for the education on Reg Harris frames and bicycles. Your paint prep looks extensive and flawless, I'm sure the end result will be stunning. Soon the forum will become aware of the quality of work you have put into this and join in (the weather must me great in England as the forum seems a little quiet), but until then I will cheer you on :D . What Kit are you planning to use for the build?

: Mike

Thanks for the support Mike!

I need to get you a cheerleader outfit

No, not looking for attention. I just thought it would be good to document everything for the next (hopefully) lucky person who finds one....there is very little out there to help out with identification and very few left!

It's also a great story about a failed foray into bicycle production. I saw a flippant comment on here somewhere stating "the build quality wasn't good so they went under." That doesn't seem to hold true looking at the finishing on this frame.

Here is the wonderful page I've plagiarised:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... s_main.htm

....scroll down to the bottom and there is an excerpt from his autobiography discussing the business. Very interesting.

To be honest I enjoy the process of rescuing these frames so will simply refinish to the best of my ability and then pass on to somebody else to enjoy. I have faaar too many bikes and faaar too little space!

Latest posts

Back