Alain Michel

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I've had a Dura Ace 7800 groupset kicking around for a while and had a loose idea to fit it to a nice steel 90's frame and go Retromod

I'm constantly looking at for sale ads in every corner of the Internet and they're are plenty frames out there but none as nice/odd/unusual/ugly(delete as applicable) :LOL:

I had to have it :cool:

My excitement turned to horror upon test fitting a few parts to discover the drive side bottom bracket threads were part stripped and cup wouldn't tighten :facepalm:

I felt the frame was special enough to warrant the repair ..

A lot of phone calls and Internet bashing I found a company to ream/sleeve the bb and thankfully it's good as new :D

Here she is .. Test rode 40 miles and all good .. Have longer post to fit and different stem to fine tune fit ..

Have decals on way and will tape up once I'm happy ..

Alain Michel by Plus one2010, on Flickr

tubes sliced apart and welded back together again ? or decoration ? why !!
(looks very well done whatever it is, I like it)

Marmite indeed :cool:

I like walking the path less trod :LOL:

Thanks for positive/piss take/ etc comments :LOL:

From my internet snooping I've found that Excell tubing was the French answer to Reynolds 753 .. This is plain gauge but very thin .. 1750g for frame on my luggage scales size 55 ..

Allegedly Alain Michel made frames for Greg lemond ?

Decoration on tubes done with some form of roller press ?

I am going to change wheels for alloy low profile(modern with vintage look) I feel the carbon rims are cancelling out the lovely steel zing ..

I will report back :D

Back