Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Team Telekom 1992

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello,

many of you here will remember my old Dyna Tech which I had since my teenage years, well it finally has come unstuck and is now adorning my workshop wall in well earned retirement.

So, what to do…

Obviously the best thing to do was re-frame my old parts. And the best thing to do was to buy the frame I would have bought had I had my current means back them.

I was looking for a Motorola Merckx but came across this one in Telecom colours.
Not being a fan of the team, or the colours I bought it anyway with a view to respraying it in Motorola colours. I even bought a jersey and some Motorola bar end plugs.

Once it arrived I started to get 'feelings' for it…

It is a rare and desirable bike, from a proper company, hand built, possibly even touched by Merckx himself on a factory walk around… Them my wife said "it would be a shame to change it, I think it should be restored not modified".

So thats it, now I have a Merckx frame, with Argos right now for paint, chrome the bloody lot, at a kingly sum I can assure you, being painted in my second choice colour, but it will gladden my heart that it is right. Not a fake Motorola but a real Telekom frame.

My daughters call it the 'Pink bike'. :(

It is being built with most of the bits from my Dyna Tech, but where necessary I have changed some odder components out to make it Shimano 600 (6401) throughout and with the Mavic Open 4 CD rims it is going to be a nice period restoration.
I found a lot of nice NOS bits on ebay over the last few months.

Gearing is being subtly changed from the Dyna Tech's 42-52 12-21 to a more manageable 38-52 and 13-26 by the magic of a TA chan ring and an HG50 block.
This allows me to ride it not just look (god how compact gearing on my modern bikes has spoiled me).

The only modern components will be the pedals which I am using Shimano R540 in silver to allow me to use my current SPD SL shoes with it and a Garmin mount.

This has left me with a few choice components left over which are already forming into another project in my head…

Campagnolo Athena hubs (narrow body screw on)
Campagnolo Chorus seat post in 26.6mm.
Maillard 8 speed 12-21 block.

So if anyone has any ideas of a nice 1980's Italian frame that takes a 26.6 post I think something with friction down tube shifters and full C-Record era Campagnolo is on the cards...

All those words and not one picture! C'mon. You've been here long enough to know what we like! :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing some pics eventually though. Can't go wrong with a Corsa Extra, though I might be biased. I have the Team Stuttgart colour scheme on my '89 which I believe was the precursor to Telecom.

And I'll include a photo for visual interest to tide us over. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_0654w.jpg
    IMG_0654w.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,800

My bad, sorry.

Here she is mocked up with the bits from my Dyna Tech, I went for a test spin to make sure all was well before comitting to paint.

firedfromthecircus":1rk2ids8 said:
All those words and not one picture! C'mon. You've been here long enough to know what we like! :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing some pics eventually though. Can't go wrong with a Corsa Extra, though I might be biased. I have the Team Stuttgart colour scheme on my '89 which I believe was the precursor to Telecom.

And I'll include a photo for visual interest to tide us over. :mrgreen:

That's one of the nicest Merckx bikes I've seen and I'm incredibly fussy! The Stuttgart colours were stunning..

:cool:

The left hand seat stay may need replacing, new chrome and paint etc etc.
Decals from Cyclomondo.

The price is somewhat more then I thought...

About £800 not including the purchase of the frame.

But, it will be properly done, and Argos have always done a good job in the past, though never quite this much work in one go! Lol

Re:

Bob Jackson have always been first class and I doubt if the cost would even be half of what you've mentioned here.

As you say, how on earth do frames get so badly treated?! Any bike I have ever owned has always parted my company with a couple of scratches at the very most! :shock:

It will be awesome when it's renovated tho'!

:cool:

Back