Raleigh SBDU commuter

bedraggled

Senior Retro Guru
Like quite a few others on here I have accumulated various Raleigh SBDU bikes/frames.
But the bike I ride the most, my commuter, isn't an SBDU bke because number one priority on my commuter is mudguards.
For 18 months I've been looking to put this right and have now got an SBDU with mudguard fittings.
Thanks to Matt70 who highlighted an eBay sale for a bike in my size.
I made an offer to the seller and he accepted so the following arrived before Christmas.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 834
It's taken me longer than anticipated but I now have a new commuter.
As you can see I'm not into period correct builds, I think integrated shifters are wonderful and don't want to go back to downtube shifters.
Took it for a test ride today and it's pretty much ready for next weeks commute.
Posting a picture of it while it's nice and clean because it won't be like that for long.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 830
Clearances are pretty tight, I had no end of problems trying to get the front mudguard to fit and managed to snap it while trying to 'persuade' it to stop rubbing on the front tyre.
On the plus side it's not rubbing anymore but the damage means it will be less effective so I will change it over.
The nice shiney components will soon be a distant memory if my current commuter is anything to go by.

Made a couple of changes.
Replaced the front brake so the pads now line up with the rim. :D
Added some Raleigh decals, a head tube badge and chain stay protector, just need some 531 decals. :D
Replaced the broken front mudguard and of course the new one rubs on the front tyre. :(
Adjusted all the fixings and currently trying to bend the mudguard a bit more subtly as I don't want to snap another one.

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 553
Back