Tom Board and TJ Cycles

hmmhmm

Dirt Disciple
My Tom Board 'Cygnus' and my old Flying Gate (why did I ever sell it?).

Gate was 531SL, Campag, Dura Ace. Had to have one after I met Wally Baines at a cycle show in York.

Cygnus is 531 (including 1950s tandem seat tube), Campag, PMP, Aero Gran Compe. Built 'freehand' without a jig by a true craftsman.

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,794
  • Cygnus 2.JPG
    Cygnus 2.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,794
The Tom Board Cygnus is a amazing frame, and quite handsome. Please post more photos as I just can't get enough of this bike, the Flying Gate is a good looker also.
A beautiful pair of TT bikes.

: Mike

531brazed":21elz8xh said:
How do they ride compared with normal bikes ?
I've never ridden the 'Cygnus' in anger. Both are twitchy as they are short wheelbase. I remember the back wheel of the Flying Gate lifting off the ground on fast, steep descents!

Blackbike":3k3el1c1 said:
The Tom Board Cygnus is a amazing frame, and quite handsome. Please post more photos as I just can't get enough of this bike, the Flying Gate is a good looker also.
A beautiful pair of TT bikes.

: Mike
Thanks Mike.
I asked Tom Board to build me the 'Cygnus' around a set of cool Aero Gran Compe brakes, after seeing the design in a Japanese bicycle magazine.
Tom had an old set of 531 tandem tubing and suggested the curved seat stays to complement the curved seat tube. He of course had to build it without a jig (he made a full-size drawing first to use as a template).
There are a few more pictures here:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... T_bike.htm

oooooohhh :) Nice :)

In Answer to 531brazed..... they ride like like "normal" bikes given the geometry they end up with. Like the old question do diadrent forks feel different.

batesbar1938.jpg

Shaun

Midlife":shx357os said:
oooooohhh :) Nice :)

In Answer to 531brazed..... they ride like like "normal" bikes given the geometry they end up with. Like the old question do diadrent forks feel different.

batesbar1938.jpg

Shaun

Yes but these two bikes are very short wheelbase (under 100cm IIRC).

Nob":3tsb5yh5 said:
Glad to see someone else loves PMP cranks :)

Yes, most people think they're a waste of time. I used to think they made the bike feel like a fixie.
BTW the left crank is a replacement because the original developed a crack in the inner angle of the elbow.

I have 3 sets
The most valuable are Ian Cammishs ones that he used to break the 100 record & 50 records & like you the left hand one is cracked.

My other sets are perfect & I used them to set my PB at 10 & 25 miles & did a 19.49 10 mile private TT in 1987, for me i really feel good on them especially on a 55x13 or 12..

Back