Mid 70's FW Evans Track/Path

Rhodrich

Retro Newbie
I've just finished building this up in fixed gear guise for daily commuting duties, having bought the frame from Hilary Stone:

2016-02-24%2013.52.24_zpswyghlshr.jpg

2016-02-24%2013.53.48_zpsrjyqrins.jpg

2016-02-24%2013.54.22_zpslku6cbno.jpg

2016-02-24%2013.54.34_zpsgr6tvcke.jpg

2016-02-24%2013.54.55_zpsnvfjpkyy.jpg

2016-02-24%2013.56.57_zpsgw0zcju9.jpg

Looking around the internet, I haven't been able to find any other FW Evans track or path bikes. The head decal showing the address to be in Kennington Road dates the frame to pre 1977 (when they moved to The Cut), and I suspect that the frame dates from about 1975 or so. As for who made it? Who knows! It could be their 'in house' frame builder Harry Healey, or made for them by an outside builder. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Whoever it was, they did a fine job, and with a 39 1/2" wheelbase, it's a very responsive frame, and perfect for commuting into London in style.

Re:

Hi, nice bike, are you sure about your dates, that fork crown looks mid late 50's. The frame is fairly standard ( a high standard ) nervex build, with few clues to the builder, some builders have little styling cues that help identify them and there appears very little to assist on your frame. I don't know if this helps or hinders. Terry

Re:

Thanks Terry.

Going by the 531 sticker (assuming it's the correct one), it's a 'TI Reynolds' one, which didn't come in until 1977, so actually 1975 seems too early. With Evans' move to The Cut in 1977, and the headbadge having the old address, the only year that it could have been made is therefore 1977.

I agree however that the fork crown looks older. The track ends at the back are cast though, which rules out anything from the 50's. I believe in the 50's, Evans bikes had different decals too (they were 'The Evans'). Perhaps the fork crown was old stock?

Who knows!

Re: Fw Evans

Hi, I am sure this was built by Harry Healey. He was building frames in the shops basement at this time, I worked there!
The fork crown is old school but is just like the one he put on my track bike he built for me in 1978, it got stolen!
Harry was very much the engineer and wouldn't be caught up in latest fashions my frame had lovely round fork blades and looks like the same geometry as yours.
I rode it at Herne Hill and Calshot indoor track. One of the better club riders had a spin on it on the track and said it was the most comfortable frame he'd ever ridden.
I always thought Harry should have been better known for his craftsmanship than he is.
Hope this helps
Gary

Latest posts

Back