Rourkie eBay purchase

JSH

rBotM Winner
Another of Stoke's finest has found its way from eBay into my garage

Waiting for delivery but looks ok from the pictures. From the frame number, it looks like a 90s frame and is equipped with Shimano 105. OLD is I understand 130mm and is just missing a pair of wheels. The chrome looks in great order (Their chroming was, I believe, historically done in Leeds and really stands the test of time).

Its always a bit of a lottery with eBay and I have had a couple of nightmares but at £140, I thought it was worth a punt

Attachments

• BR2016.jpg
    BR2016.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 1,282
Re:

Great find. I always wondered how such lovely bikes could come from such a grim city. Lovely angle on that top tube, and the chrome dropouts are a nice touch. Not so struck on the saddle though.
Has it been ridden much? Everything looks pretty new - maybe those chips are from storage rather than riding?

Re:

Well its turned up and is and there's no dings or cracks. Interestingly, after speaking to Gaz at Rourke's I got loads of info:
Head angle 73
Seat angle 72
130mm OLN
Reynolds 531C F&F
Cinelli sloping fork crown & BB & cast lugs
Date of Mfr: 29 Sept 1995

Its a bit newer than I had anticipated so just thinking about what to build it up with. I don't fancy C1995 kit so may go earlier - maybe C-Record era or maybe Dura Ace 6400. I've even thought about going contemporary with a 10 speed Veloce black groupset from Ribble.

Colour wise, I'm toying with the idea of Molteni orange with pearl blue panels yellow decals - Project " when Eddy met Brian"

Re:

Looks nice, great colour! :cool:

Well, you have Dura Ace 7400,

Or Ultegra 6400, ( with polished cranks )

So no Dura Ace 6400.

IMO, having now used both that I would choose Ultegra over D/A, as it's perfectly adequate. Just has some parts that are greyer. Certainly a lot cheaper to buy 6400 parts too. Depends on how you want it to look really.

Look forward to seeing what you do to this Rourke ;)

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":1oizjtum said:
Looks nice, great colour! :cool:

Well, you have Dura Ace 7400,

Or Ultegra 6400, ( with polished cranks )

So no Dura Ace 6400.

IMO, having now used both that I would choose Ultegra over D/A, as it's perfectly adequate. Just has some parts that are greyer. Certainly a lot cheaper to buy 6400 parts too. Depends on how you want it to look really.

Look forward to seeing what you do to this Rourke ;)

Mike

I meant 7400 :)

I met up with a guy yesterday who acquired loads of vintage kit when his brother (a serious hoarder) passed away. He sold me a very nice 7400 Crankset for £20 and a good S/Rec alloy headset for £20. I could kick myself as he had 7400 cartridge bottom brackets and brake callipers but I was pushed for time. I'm seriously thinking of bidding for the lot. If I do go the vintage DA route, it probable needs to be 8 speed UG and the early 8 speed DA STI units I think I do the lot (buy it, paint it and build it with DA7400 for about £600. It will be the first thing I've done for sensible money :LOL:

I'd keep the same color & stick some polished silver components on this with white saddle white bar tape, white bottle, white cables & that would look fab IMO

Re:

It's looking like Campag record Ti 9 speed I think? I have acquired boxes of stuff from the estate of a guy that started a bike marketplace. I bought the job lot as it included a time warp bike with early Dura ace. The boxes though contain lots of gems including most of the Campag groupset. Once I get it catalogued, expect to see some interesting stuff in the classifieds

Re:

Just collected it from Rourkes with a fresh coat of paint. I'll get a picture up in a moment then start a build thread

Back