EX ANC HALFORDS TEAM BIKE - STEVE JONES PEUGEOT 531 PRO

marshalllucky

Retro Guru
Just stumbled across this old ANC Halfords Team bike. I bought and collected it yesterday, I suspected it was an actual team bike with the brazed on race number hanger and the general spec. I know there are a couple of these bikes that have been found and are well documented on this site and others namely Adrian Timmis and Paul Watsons bikes. On close inspection on the rear of the top tube on the non drive side , you can see where the team riders name was , the decal was removed some years ago by the look of it but if you look closely and let the paint catch the light you can see the shadow of the name Steve Jones who was an ANC rider from 1986 to 1987. This bike has full 531pro , I know the others had 753r but the team did use 531pro , in fact many photos on the internet of Adrians bike clearly show the red label on the forks as 531pro and the team bike used by ANC rider Kvetoslav Palov in the 87 TDF was also full 531pro ( I have close up screen grabs from youtube ). The bike has been in someones back bedroom in W Yorkshire for nearly 30 years apparently and was only rediscovered upon the chaps death when the house was being cleared. I suspect he probably bought the frameset with seatpost as all the original campag record c has been replaced but sympathetically to the bikes original appearance . I intend to restore it to full team spec over time. But just look at the frame , totally original and looks almost new. Dont know how many bikes each rider had or if this one was ever raced but I am going to try and contact Steve Jones to ask about the 531pro , mayba that was his preference over 753???. Would welcome any advice. Thanks

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 3,003
  • resized driveside.jpg
    resized driveside.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,996
  • stevejones1.jpg
    stevejones1.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,821
  • anc212.jpg
    anc212.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,673
  • ANC55.jpg
    ANC55.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,372
  • ANC56.jpg
    ANC56.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1,372
  • anc 531pro-8.jpg
    anc 531pro-8.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,372
It'll add value if you can get written confirmation that it was his & rode it..

Re:

Thanks for the replies guys, Just found an email address from Steve Jones` website and sent an email with a photo asking him about the bike, Hope he replies. It would be nice if he remembers it. He probably had a few liveried bikes issued to him, but hopefully he will confirm he had a 531pro and remembers this beauty !!

Re:

I sent an email to Steve Jones with a picture of the Peugeot. He sent me a nice reply but he couldn`t confirm if he had ever ridden this bike , he actually stated that as far as he recalls the original bikes supplied from Peugeot were replaced with custom made frames by Brian Rourke! . I wonder if my bike was one of the original supplied and maybe never used?? the condition of the frame suggests it hasn`t seen much action But there has been his name on the frame , the shadow of which can still be seen, it has the number holder brazed on and is clearly not a bike Peugeot ever sold off the shelf. I am still of the opinion this was built for the team. Can anyone shed any light on this? , has anyone seen another 531pro like this ? . The colour is pearl white although with my camera flash it looks silver in the photo. It has NOT been resprayed, this is the original paint and condition. I still intend to steam ahead with the upgrade of the incorrect parts to team spec. I have removed the chain and it looks as thought the bottom bracket has some slight play so will strip it down and take a look , it looks like a super record BB. I am now on the lookout for C Record chainset, mechs, brakes and levers, I`d better get saving !!.

Well you could try contacting Peugeot & see where it leads..... Maybe Mr. Jones can point you in that direction? You could even ask Rourke's?

Re:

Cycles Peugeot UK Ltd no longer exist as far as I am aware, I suspect the bike dates from about 1985 / 86 in those days they were based in Bedford but I can`t find any current listing for them. I do not think for a minute this was a Rourke framed bike , I have had a few 531 Peugeot`s and would say this is def a Pug.

I read somewhere it was Chas Roberts that built the frames for Peugeot cyclo-cross & mountain Bike teams so maybe he did the ANC ones as well?

stringfellow1946":gtxvlav0 said:
I read somewhere it was Chas Roberts that built the frames for Peugeot cyclo-cross & mountain Bike teams so maybe he did the ANC ones as well?

Indeed he did Chris. Building frames for Tim Gould, riding for Peugeot. The irony! :LOL:

Back