Humber Clipper 1955 in 95% original order.

viscount

Old School Hero
Plenty of Lentons on here, but how about the Humber Clipper variant?

Just been out for its first test run & it's a pleasing retro ride.
All original except for brake calipers/levers & the 3 speed hub was replaced (into the original 26 x 1 1/4 Dunlops) in the early 80s. I expected it to come with an FM but apparently a 3 speed was an alternative option. It's crying out for 700 alloys in my opinion, & they do fit, but the delicate guards are then problematic.

(Does anybody else find it awkward to fit tyres evenly onto 26 x 1 !/4 rims??)

Paint & decals are very nice for 60 year old & a lamp set is on the wants list to make use of the GH6.

Intention is to use it as a light tourer/town bike.

Any more Clippers out there?

Gets my vote! very nice indeed. I'd be putting a nice Miller front lamp on that one too for the Dynohub.

@Spokesman.

..."I'd be putting a nice Miller front lamp on that one too for the Dynohub....."

Funny you should say that, because it came with a bottle dyno Miller Light set, which was obviously an addition at a certain, later time.
I didn't like the bottle dyno, with a GH6 on the front doing nothing, so the very nice Miller Light set can wait for another, more suitable machine.

I do need a suitable, neat lamp bracket for the fork though....
I'm thinking of using the GH6 for the front lamp, but convert a suitable rear to LED.
No cabling to the rear that way.
Just a thought to stir the purists; )

Very nice! As I understand it, the frame should take anything between a 26 x 1-3/8" and a 27 x 1-1/4". The idea being that you use the 26 x 1-3/8" with mudguards and the 27 x 1-1/4" without. One of the older cyclists here would have to confirm that though - I wasn't around then :D

So a 700c will fit but, because it's almost the same diameter as a 27", it'll foul those guards.

Lovely restoration and a nice change from the usual Raleigh Lenton. Look after those mudguards; they will be difficult to replace in that condition. Would I be right in saying it is on the heavy side i.e. not a true lightweight ?

@Jonny69
Re the wheel sizes. It will just take 27s with no guards, but 700s are much more suitable, even if I cannot use these guards with them. They do not look right anyway with 'skinny' tyres: )

Plan is to keep the original wheels/guards, but find a 700 alloy wheel set & different, suitable guards for general use. (I do have a FM in a 700 rim somewhere... )
Trouble is the front fork needs some small modifications to fit a modern 700 in there....

@Apple Tree.
It was never a real 'Lightweight' in the modern sense, but back in the day - early 1950s - it was a good, lightweight, multi purpose machine for a very modest amount of money. It weighs 12KG as seen. (It's those hubs/rims, heavy Brooks!!!) Which is why I want to try it with alloy rims & a basic 5 speed derailler, keeping the option to go back to original spec when I want to: )

BTW It's not a real 'restoration'. It was very close to original when I got it.
I found it, dismantled it, cleaned it, removed a little rust, serviced it, & that's pretty much what you see.

BUT.... I was never going to keep the 'original' Raleigh chromed steel side-pulls. Looking the same as on the period Raleigh Roadsters to me, & probably just as useless: )

Here is another pic that shows all the details.
I just love the subtle bar-shape, pointy mudguards, & all the rest of it!
Just needs lamps for me.
The GH6 needs to be used.

It's all down to details with these period machines.
The Alhongers do a good job, but just look a bit too modern to my eye on this bike. I'll be happy with Weinmanns when I can find the right drops.

Got a similar problem with my Dunning. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=240180.
Which I am adding to the thread, in a few mins....
Classic tourer from a small, but very able North London maker.

Latest posts

Back