New here. Vitus SuperVitus 980

raw

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.

New here. Who can tell me something about my bike. Picked it up cheapish from eBay a year or so ago as my first road bike. SV980 extralegerre tube set and full shimano 105 group set apart from a stronglight headset. Think it's probably 1986/7 assuming the group set is original. Bars are sakae SR and a little bent (first road bike and first time with clip pedals), stem is gb, rims are Mavic MA2, tyres are mixed.

Using it as my only road bike so it's used for a ten mile each way commute across Bristol daily but also for longer rides in spare time and I'm hoping to start doing a few sportives too.

As you can probably see, the frame is a little small for me really and is absolutely maxed out, but it's comfy enough and was cheap so I'm not moaning. Do want to fit a wider set of bars, different saddle and have some new biopace chain rings on the way though, 52,40 instead of worn out 52,42 that I have at current. Also new tyres, vredstein 25c and new cables inner and outer.

One day the totally knackered paint might get sorted too, along with adding some brazeons for the second bottle cage and then maybe moving this frame on in favour of another similar but an inch or so larger.

Excuse the filthy state - she earns her keep in the week getting me to work! Also excuse the touch ins that don't match at all, they're there for preservation, the paints past looking pretty!

Rich.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,459
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,459
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 2,459
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,459
Decent steel frame I had a gitane with same tubing
I'd agree you would be better with a larger frame
For distance riding. that handlebar stem looks way too high !
I'd be tempted to keep the equipment and swap it over as you mention

Re:

Both the stem and the seat post are on the max and with the seat moved back far enough to get me in the right place relative to the pedals, it feels like the right height, but I think I might find a longer top tune more comfortable, I might even admit that the bars could be set just a little more relaxed for me.

Swapping the 105 over to another similar gram would be a nice solution o think, but I like the way this one rides. It feels more comfortable than a mates carbon frame that I had a go on, and faster than similar price and weight ali frame another mate I rode with at uni had. Think I'd stick with steel but sv980 is rare and I don't know how much variation there is between different steel tube sets.

Rich

Re:

SV980 was french top tubing at the time and perfectly comparable to reynolds 531 or Columbus SL
Its actually lighter than SL :idea: :mrgreen:
So don't hesitate to grab these frames - they are underrated :idea:

Re:

Well my thoughts are to get through the winter - just moved house and very skint at the moment - and then consider getting another comparable frame to rebuild the current 105 gruppo onto. Then refinish this frame and move it on as I don't think I know anyone appropriately sized for it.

Meantime I shall continue to enjoy riding it and upgrading bits that I can move over to the new frame with me, thinking of getting a selle turbo saddle, new seat post, bars and stem.

Does anyone think the frame will have much value at all?

Rich

Re:

Not really -IMHO- some frames are from well known framemakers and would command more but - better for use than "dough generation "!

Re:

Indeedy, sort of expected. That said, I paid less than the value of the group set so I can't complain! Does anyone know who put these Vitus branded frames together?

Rich

Re:

Well, let's rescue this from the depths!

Since my last update there have been new tubes, and more importantly 25c Vitoria clinchers which have made an amazing difference to comfort, grip and speed. Not only that but I've had no punctures since where I was having one a fortnight or so before!

Fitted new cables and bar tape last week, brake cables were original shimano branded cables, but regardless of originality, I'm very glad I changed them out!

Today I actually got out for a nice rec ride rather than the boring old commute! Headed south from Bristol, struggling with a few very steep climbs, 16% on 42x28 doesn't work for me! Still, between the hard climbs there were some lovely roads and really fun descents!

https://www.strava.com/activities/64649 ... 1468954207

Any ways, I'll probably leave this to disappear into the depths again now for a few months, but rest assured she's getting used regularly and not too gently :)

Rich

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,022
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,022
I missed this first time around. Don't know why I thought your Vitus was an alloy one. Good to know that about the steel frames - could be one of those unknown gems where you can still get a lot of frame for your money.

Back