Badly Panasonic'd 85 raleigh 531c

AndyMart

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Picked this up Tuesday, advertised as for parts not working because of a cracked fork, was expecting to have to get it it repainted but the cracked fork turned out to be a worn headset and the paint is in surprising good condition. I know its not an accurate Panasonic replica but I think I can sort the problems by replacing the seat tube decals and possibly repainting the rear triangle. So decals are on order from Lloyds and the missing bits of shimano 600 are on their way via eBay.

Attachments

• 2016-01-15 15.38.04.png
    2016-01-15 15.38.04.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,331
Looks like it could end up a bargain. I'm wondering if you might be able to carefully paint strip that blue off of the rear stays.
Having restored one of these I can safely say that the original Raleigh paint is very very very hard to get off. So if that blue has been rattle canned on it might come off leaving the pearl under it in tact.

Think it's had a full respray at some point, the guy had had the bike 20 years and had bought it from his mate who had it from new. The paint does seem better than a rattle can job but I could be wrong. Matching the pearl would be tricky I think but not impossible. Was concerned that the blue stays were covering a bodged repair but it all seems correct.

Re:

Collected parcels yesterday with eBay stuff and finished ordering last bits today. Gonna be a mix of old, new and stuff I've harvested from other projects, So spec will be 600ex gears cranks and braking, new version cinelli bars and stem, SR seat post and rolls saddle, campag record headset and hubs with mavic open pro rims, shimano freewheel. Black brake hoods, white cables and white tape. Got seat tube and Reynolds decal from lloyds.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,182
Re:

Following a guide I found on here the area where the decals needed replacing has been given 3 coats of lacquer to fill in the gaps, tomorrow I'll wet sand it to flatten it ready it for the new decals. The cranks are scruffy so I'm stripping them and giving them a polish.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    69 KB · Views: 1,082
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,078
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,078
Re:

if memory serves me correctly I don't think the raleigh decals were ever lacquered over. certainly not of this era. they had a 5 stage paint process but the decals went on last.

Re:

oh and you need any measurements just let me know as I recently did one of these.

Cheers Maca I'm just making the best of what I've got, the frame has deffo had paint at some point, I'll refer to your build thread when it comes time to put the new decal on.
Thing is with these raleighs no two are alike, I've looked at loads and the decal placement and the amount of blue on the front end is different on every one!

Back