Bob Jackson Golden Jubilee tandem 1985

anagrama

Devout Dirtbag
So this monster is currently taking up a signficant chunk of my living room since picking it up last weekend. I wasn't seriously in the market for a tandem, but when this popped up at the local bike co-op, perfectly sized for self and partner, in oustanding condition and with top-shelf period kit, I just couldn't let it pass me by.

1985 Bob Jackson Golden Jubilee 531 tandem frame & forks
Suzue tandem hubs on 40/48h 27" Super Champion rims
TA tandem triple chainset (52/44/26), Lyotard pedals
Dia Compe Gran Compe levers w/Shimano MC70 cantis
Arai drag brake controlled by Suntour barend lever
Huret Duopar titanium rear mech, Sachs/Huret 'HiStepper' front
Simplex retrofriction shifters
Milremo randonneur bars (Philippe-made?) on Zoom adjustable stem (pilot)
Sakae North Road bars (stoker)
B17 saddles on SR Laprade posts
Bluemels sovereign mudguards & unknown rack

There's not much work that it needs really - I plan on changing the pilot's stem to something a bit prettier and to swap the Shimano cantis for 5-stud Mafacs, but other than that it'll just get a good once-over and fresh set of consumables, hopefully in advance of some idyllic country rides & light touring next year..

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,181
Re:

Hi, was this the beauty that was in Recyce y'Bike in Byker? I saw it upstairs and almost sneaked it back to my man cave but alas divorce prevented me!

It's a true beauty - you're a lucky man and I'm jealous!

Re: Bob Jackson Golden Jubilee tandem (1985)

WOW!!! I am a big fan of Bob Jackson frames and your tandem is magnificent, great components, just beautiful.

: Mike :xmas-big-grin:

Re: Re:

Meejoir":1ev34ryt said:
Hi, was this the beauty that was in Recyce y'Bike in Byker? I saw it upstairs and almost sneaked it back to my man cave but alas divorce prevented me!

Yep, that's the one! My stoker is remarkably understanding given the space it takes up and likely infrequency of use - her only proviso was that I add a splash more colour to offset the grey/brown/black :D

That's gorgeous, been after a Duopar for one of my builds.

gorgeous looking frame

What a superb tandem! Nice spec' too

Spokesmann":10463dv1 said:
That's gorgeous, been after a Duopar for one of my builds.
soo much nicer in Ti flavour. :)
I've mixed memories of these; probably the best changing touring mech' of it's time (worlds apart from the god-aweful Campag Rally), but a bit fragile?
I seem to remember it didn't like back-pedalling much, which sometimes caused the spring and 2nd-parallelogram links to bend. Worked a treat under load though.

First "new" additions arrived today :)

still need some 5-stud brake shoes to complete them though...

ferrus":3pcgwbro said:
I've mixed memories of these; probably the best changing touring mech' of it's time (worlds apart from the god-aweful Campag Rally), but a bit fragile?
I seem to remember it didn't like back-pedalling much, which sometimes caused the spring and 2nd-parallelogram links to bend. Worked a treat under load though.

Yep, that pretty much fits with what I've been reading - will have to try and get in the habit of using the drag brake as a parking brake to prevent accidental rolling.
Funny you should mention the Rally though - I know it's nigh-on impossible to find many a good word about them, but I've had one (1st gen, 2nd revision) on my solo tourer for a few years now and it's been one of the most hassle-free derailleurs I've used. Jack Taylor used to fit them as standard on their tandems (until the long-cage Cyclone came along at least) too, so they can't be all bad...

Attachments

• 20151214_174646.jpg
    20151214_174646.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,064
Re:

I actually do quite like the Rallys and run one on an early MTB, and a Rally caged Nuovo Record on another, -there's a third gen' in the mech' collection too. It was it's reluctance to shift under heavy load that's caused the 'scarring', but they seem to work quite well with more modern freewheels ? - Your positive results show that personal experience is everything really, and how we shouldn't take reputation as gospel.
What amuses me though is that the second gen' was such a retrograde over the first gen - just because Campag buyers didn't like the drop-parallelogram aesthetic and it's Japanese implications, apparently!

Back