Raleigh Professional - Mk. V

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
The photos from this build vanished so I dug some out and they're to be found on the page 7 of this thread

Raleigh Professional Mk V

Here's how she is now - full gallery on pg. 5

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

28944645.d699b4c1.640.jpg

29011361.4f5430bb.240.jpg

1977raleighcat_us_03_lg.jpg

Here's my Raleigh Professional Mk.V 1978 build thread.

It's in lovely condition. 22 1/2" Frame I believe.

The Catalogue spec features Campagnolo Nuovo Record throughout, plus a Brooks Pro saddle and a GB Stem.

I'm going to personalise this, and build it according to what I want, to my taste, within Period and my own touch rather than a Catalogue spec.

I could've bought the complete Campag group set 1978 date marked (from the seller - and as originally was with this particular bike in great condition and a good price) but I have a soft spot for Suntour.

Suntour has always been my favourite, and I consider it true Retro - sure Campag and others are Vintage and Classic and utterly beautiful but Suntour which no longer exists has always seemed more "Retro" rather than Classic Vintage or Eroica.

Suntour also works wonderfully, not as pretty as Campagnolo, but as well built and looking good in it's own way.

So I took the plunge and have bought a Suntour Superbe Mk. 1 1977 Group Set to go with this, and will fit it when it arrives.
Mechs, Brakes, Shifters, levers, Crankset and Pedals.

I also await the Original GB stem to arrive and Original black Brooks Team professional saddle.

I have the Original GB handlebars with British isle map (forget what their called).

The only Campagnolo parts left are the original Nuovo record Headset and the Campagnolo Original Cable ties/clamps.

Will post pictures as soon as I get the gear delivered/cleaned and polished.

Only thing I need are High Flange Campag Nuovo Record/Suntour Superbe hubs and Sprint rims.

So far I've cleaned, T-Cut and Waxed the frame/forks and polished the Headset and Headbadge.
image1.JPG fujitxcornwallagfa10243.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Raleigh Professional Mk.V 1978

That looks really smart, liking the colour very much.
I think your choice of groupset is spot on, I have a real liking for Suntour Superbe gear.
Looking forward to seeing this as it all comes together.

Jamie

Thanks guys - appreciate it
I'm dreading this actually as it may - just may - be slightly too big.
My Carlton criterium is spot on in size - measured this against the Carlton and the frame is or rather seems to be similar in size - weird - is this different geometry ? I know it's a racing frame and the Carlton isn't - or am I wrong ?

Re:

Cracking frame - gorgeous. The Suntour mechs are great, the stuff they bought in, not quite so good. I think a mixture of the Superbe and Record gives you the best of both worlds

Thanks for the comments
I'm really relishing building this - will update when the parts come next week

In meantime if anyone knows of any 1977/78 superbe or nuovo record high flange wheels let me know

Re:

Gorgeous stuff. 1st gen Superbe is my favourite group of the era too - my Joe Waugh wears it head-to-toe, with the exception of the later cartridge bearing pedals.

gavr":aftcrotr said:
The Suntour mechs are great, the stuff they bought in, not quite so good.

I can't agree with that at all either - it's basically a rebadged roll-call of Japan's finest of the times: Royal Gran Compe, Sugino Super Mighty, MKS, Hatta..

Re: Re:

anagrama":24czog2e said:
Gorgeous stuff. 1st gen Superbe is my favourite group of the era too - my Joe Waugh wears it head-to-toe, with the exception of the later cartridge bearing pedals.

gavr":24czog2e said:
The Suntour mechs are great, the stuff they bought in, not quite so good.

I can't agree with that at all either - it's basically a rebadged roll-call of Japan's finest of the times: Royal Gran Compe, Sugino Super Mighty, MKS, Hatta..
It IS gorgeous! Absolutely!

All I need are some wheels now!

Back