Raleigh Record Ace 1948

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this frame restored earlier this year and now I have started to buy parts for it.

the D/T decals have been mis-applied I think - too close together but apart from that it seems to be in good order.

the frame has none of the usual braze on so either they have been skillfully removed or it was ordered that way and was always a racing frameset.

I can't work out what the brazeon's on the rear seat stays are meant to be though or that hole on the DS rear dropout (the photo's don't show this but it is circular like it is meant for a mech hanger or something like that).

I have a Renoylds 531 stem and Renoylds bars that are awfully narrow and a challanging shape, may have to change these. The hubs are Solite 32F/40R (fixed). I plan to lace them to tubula rims possibly wooden ones. Tyres will be challange strada Bianca 30mm because the are comfortable, don't puncture (have 3600km on the clinchers without issue flat) and they have a tan side wall which I like.

Looking for a period seatpost, pedals, brakes and brake levers. I have a bid on a Williams C34 chainset and will need to find a good BB for it. I will use a Books saddle possibly a new one.
Looking forward to riding it.

Re:

I contemplated a 1950's build earlier on in the year, so I'll be watching this with interest.

I love the frame and the paint, black and gold with the box pinstriping is such a classy look.

: Mike

I have wanted an RRA for some time and this is making the itch worse. I will be watching with interest.

yes it will be fixed. Whether it will stay that way will depend on whether I get on with fixed gear. I didn't the last time I tried riding fixed.

Really nice, looking forward to this!

If you're looking to part with the bars and stem, my Parkes might be looking for a set like that. Drop me a pm!

I love the stem, with the bars I will just have to learn to be harder like racer's from the 30's and 40's.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back