1981 W. Jeff Lindsay Custom road bike

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I picked this up from the good people at MOMBAT. I doubt many have seen one - 3 on the web including this one. However, a lot will recognize the name.

Jeff Lindsay is the man behind the iconic Mountain Goat name, which began building Mtbs around 1981. Prior to that and among other things, he was a custom road bike builder in California.

This is one of those bikes. By serial number it was the 3rd frame he build in 1981. It's a bit wee for me, but being a mtb nut I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,802
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,802
Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":2hq0msqn said:
I saw that when it was up on eBay, has great potential. What are your plans?

This is my first vintage road build so I'm a little green.

The paint is right at that point you hate ... Like a 6/10. I think I'm going to leave the frame with its patina. It's original and it be a shame to loose that. I'm going to tidy up the fork, but I'm pretty sure it will need to be refinished. The chrome is flaking badly.

Components. It originally game with Nuovo Campy. I could go there or a nice 600 Arabesque group.

Here is the likely stem choice. Something a little different. Some debate about who made it, but its an original, fillet brazed road stem. Could be a Shafer ... maybe even an old goat road stem.

Attachments

• IMG_7515.JPG
    IMG_7515.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,703
Re:

Ok ... Slowish progress on this. Trickier to build a retro roadie IMO ... more variables!

Anyway, I picked up a nice Arabesque 600 group for about 95 quid locally. Good shape.

Problem #1 - there's no 600 arabesque braze on front derailleurs? Is that true?

I was thinking of using the same vintage superbe or campy Nuovo if that doesn't work.

jimi911":2oyv8ln8 said:

I was thinking of using the same vintage superb or campy Nuovo if that doesn't work.

Unfortunately that is correct you could use a shimano 6207 or 600 AX or dura ace AX as well but as its to small you be better off sending it over here ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I didn't think front braze on's came out until 1983 ?

kingbling":1jpfsdof said:
jimi911":1jpfsdof said:

I was thinking of using the same vintage superb or campy Nuovo if that doesn't work.

Unfortunately that is correct you could use a shimano 6207 or 600 AX or dura ace AX as well but as its to small you be better off sending it over here ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I didn't think front braze on's came out until 1983 ?

:LOL:

I'm not sure on the braze on, but my bike frame repair guy said the same to me earlier in the week. The frame is definitely at 1981. Odd.

Tracked down some NOS 100/120 hubs for the thing ... Picking up some NOS mavic gp4 rims as well.

That looks great.
What a cool buy. I look forward to seeing it built up. Its a nice choice of components as well. I think they will suite it perfectly.

Jamie

Back