Keith Coppell - With a modern twist

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Earlier this year I finished my 1978 clubman's bike, based on a Dave Lloyd 531 frame. Riding it, I realised I really liked the ride, so I decided to try and find another nice hand made 531 frame to build up as my all rounder steel bike.

As luck would have it, this frame popped up in the classifieds.

Actually, what popped up was a complete kit of parts, to enable the buyer to build up a nice 1980's bike, but I had other designs for the wheels, which will end up on my Lemond (when I can get the freewheel off), and already had some nice lightweight bits in stock just waiting for the right frame.

So, what we have is a 1980's Keith Coppell frame and forks in Reynolds 531 with Shimano 600 headset, wearing full ten speed SRAM Force running gear, Shimano Dura Ace wheels, Michelin Pro-4 tyres, Age related Turbo saddle, USE(less) seatpost, shortly to be changed for a Ritchey classic also silver, speedplay pedals and bars / stem of forgotten make.

My slightly dodgy scales tell me the whole kit'n'kaboodle weighs 8kgs and my arm tells me that it probably about right.

A quick whizz around the block was impressive, well, except for the 'no matter how tight you do it, the saddle still moves' seatpost, which in the end cut the planned shakedown ride short. But what little riding I did told me that I am going to like riding this bike... a lot.

I need to find some matching green paint / nail polish, as I do not want t lose the original pin striping, or colour, but for now, I will ride it as it is... well, as soon as the new seatpost arrives I will.

DSC_0068_zpsrjnpeqlm.jpg

DSC_0075_zpslt0s4aft.jpg

Re:

Nice build Neil!

I like the retroness and modern mix on this. Nice '80s colour too. I imagine those D/A wheels are very light! You could shim the 'post until the new one arrives.
Never tried a Sram road g/set. How would they compare too Ultegra, for instance?
It's very light too! :shock:

Mike

Re:

The seatpost thing is not with the post Mike, it is the design of the seat clamp.

Instead of two jaws closing on the seat rails, the USE design has three sets of wedges, two pushing one way and the third fixed one in the middle being forced the other way. To clamp the whole thing, there are a pair of 3.5mm allen head machine screws, and that's the issue, it is just very hard to get enough torque on the two little screws to get everything tight. There is a different single screw design and I have one of those on an mtb, no problem, it is just this one that's being a PIA.

SRAM Force is Ultegra equivalent, as it is one down from SRAM Red, which is mega light. Force stuff is light, so helps a lot with the overall weight. The wheels are around 1500g, so where they should be to keep things light, but not delicate.

The main difference in operation SRAM vs Shimano, is that SRAM only has one shift lever, the brake lever is only a brake lever. A long push shifts up the cassette and touch 'click' shifts down. It is slick in operation, more like Campag in that you can shift several gears up the cassette, especially useful when you come round a corner and find a steep climb in front of you. It's disadvantages it that it can be a little bit fussy to set up, at least the rear mech, and also when you have reached the top of the cassette with Shimano, and extra (desperate) shove of the shifter just gets an equal push back, as the thing is against the stops, with SAM you will get a little click, and it will start off down the cassette again! That said, if you feel that click, you just give it a further push and it stays where it is, but I'm sure a rider of your ability never finds himself searching for an easier gear ratio.

Overall, I think SRAM is slicker and quieter than Shimano, but others would disagree, I also find it very reliable, but I think most road gear sets are these days. It needs a certain knack to set it up, lots of tiny adjustments to get everything spot on, but once it's done, it's done.

Excellent bike as always Neil.

Modern drivetrain on a top notch steel frameset is what it's all about for me.

Keep up the good work.

Re:

Sounds like a Use Alien seatpost. I had one on my Giant. The two bolts holding it together rounded off eventually, stupidly small they were! :evil:
They changed the design to a single bolt IIRC

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":2bcb25yt said:
Sounds like a Use Alien seatpost.
That's the kiddie.

I changed it this afternoon. I thought the screws were 3.5mm, but it turns out they are 2.5mm. :facepalm:

Anyway, Ritchey classic now fitted.

Got the carbon version. On mine I have used carbon paste to get everything to stay put. I have to renew it every few months.

Old bikes with modern tat works quite well. What you have is a very competent bike that will be a joy to ride. Enjoy it.

Re:

I took the easy option Malcolm and just changed the seat post.

I agree with your comments, old bikes and new running gear are the best of both worlds.

Back