LOOK KG86

Robster914

Retro Guru
After promising the better half that my bike collection was to grow no further..

On impulse I bought this...

It is an absolute beauty- the carbon weave really comes alive under artificial light.
As with seemingly all old bikes it does have some features that are a bit mysterious so if there are any experts out there that can help...

It does seem that there were different versions of this frame. Earlier ones appear to have a different rear brake bridge that looks like it bolts to the rear stays as well being glued. there are also some that have different seat post lug designs.

Can anyone shed light on what the little grub screw on the seat post lug is for? I am going to leave as is.

The only thing that seems to be missing are the brake cable guides that fit over the holes in the top tube for the rear brake cable. If anyone has a pair of these that would be great! Strangely there is no damage so I don't know if they are press fit in?

Anyone... unless anyone tells me different I am going to assume this is 1987 vintage Look KG86. Just got to ponder the build up now!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yours has a different Rear Brake bridge to mine, I've seen these early TVT/Look bikes with several different brake bridges & with the rear drops outs marked with TVT & Look. Seems like TVT were trying out quite a few variations of the frame in the mid 80's

Re:

That is simply stunning, love those 80/90's French frames- with something as special as that it deserves a Full Mavic group, deffo not Italian components, everyone else does that and and it's something different to the plethora of Italian frames with Campag on them (Yawn :facepalm: )

Re:

Hi to all, many thanks for the feedback, and words of appreciation.

I have decided and I think it is going to be Dura ace.... just need to sell a kidney and I will be up and running! :D

In some of my old books, I have some great images of Jean Francois Bernard riding the same frame so it will be a homage to 1987 La vie Claire...

Stringfellow, many thanks for the advice and offer on the cable guides - (pm) sent.
I had a look at your bikes, that is a phenomenal collection of desirable machines! I noted that your KG86 frame had Look stamped on the rear drop outs. I haven't seen that before- is yours a team bike I wonder?

Re: Re:

Robster914":2wjwrr4d said:
Hi to all, many thanks for the feedback, and words of appreciation.

I have decided and I think it is going to be Dura ace.... just need to sell a kidney and I will be up and running! :D

In some of my old books, I have some great images of Jean Francois Bernard riding the same frame so it will be a homage to 1987 La vie Claire...

Stringfellow, many thanks for the advice and offer on the cable guides - (pm) sent.
I had a look at your bikes, that is a phenomenal collection of desirable machines! I noted that your KG86 frame had Look stamped on the rear drop outs. I haven't seen that before- is yours a team bike I wonder?

I'm not aware of mine being an Ex Team Frame.
But one other very big difference with mine is the seat tube lug which is totally different in the way the seat stays are attached, 99% of the TVT frames I've seen have the seat stays attached as shown in the other photo.

The little grub screw on the seat lug is to help stop the seat post slipping as TVT supplied seat posts in colours matching the frame. NB don't over tighten the 5mm allen bolt that clamps the seat post as the lugs can & do break.

I hope all of this is of some help to you & that I've not confused you too much.

Chris

Attachments

• My Look TVT.png
    My Look TVT.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,219
  • 99% other TVT's.png
    99% other TVT's.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,219
Cable guide missing often- it suits with an LOOK or TVT alternatively take a Vitus and glue it with both side adhesive tape .. I have done it with mine too. My expierience is all other cable guide will not suit without scrimshaw.

Latest posts

Back