Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod - Again

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Edit: if you are reading this thread afresh you will soon understand the U turn on build intentions :oops:

Considering giving my 94 Serotta a complete overhaul and retro moding it. I know that this is sacralage to some but I just fancied seeing what I could achieve with modern kit on my old frame. The Serotta was always a bit ahead of its time with their own concept tapered and butted tubes and fabulous hand crafted detail, so I don't intend on skimping on the remodel. Here's how it currently looks now stripped:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,379
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,378
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,378
Re: Serotta Colorado CR - Retro Mod

Intentions are to go with a modern paint scheme and I'm a bit seized with the 'stealth' look at the moment so may go for a dark met grey / tungsten with black decals or a bright silver with black decals or even bright orange :? hmm, I need to give this some more thought....

I intend to keep the same forks rather than go carbon but get the steerer changed to threadless at the same time as the paint so I can ditch the quill stem. Build wise, I'm still undecided on kit; Campag Chorus 11 is on the list as it originally had the same groupset in 94 (not exactly the same, obviously ;) ) and the black carbon would complement the stealth look as well as being very functional. I will go for hand built wheels as the bladed spoked machine made ones would look odd on a skinny tubed machine.

On the wheels, should I go for some solid Campag Record hubs or treat myself to some bling in the form of some Phil Wood or Tune Mig & Mag?!

Opinions welcome and we can build this together if you want, especially if I should just bin the idea and refurb to original and put all the old kit back on it :facepalm: :D

Corsa Record if you keep the same color scheme.

If modern go campag record 11 with campagnolo bora 35 wheelset.

Re:serotta

Thank you, you given me a kick up the arse, ive a lovely sunset fade Colarado built up with shimano down tube 9 speed,built up a Serotta 650c bike during year with shimano 10 ultegra, i'll swap bit over, I agree the frames arnt 'old'and would ride well with modern bits,I'am also quill but it's a pain ive got the Nitto quill\ahead converter,just feels like cheating!

Re:

Check out the serotto coors light on here. That paint scheme would stand out. That said it's current paint scheme is very cool.

Regards,

Pat

LDP":2b2ztvh1 said:
Considering giving my 94 Serotta a complete overhaul and retro moding it. I know that this is sacralage to some but I just fancied seeing what I could achieve with modern kit on my old frame. The Serotta was always a bit ahead of its time with their own concept tapered and butted tubes and fabulous hand crafted detail, so I don't intend on skimping on the remodel. Here's how it currently looks now stripped:
That is sweee-eeeet!
Serotta's always look beautifully crafted, and that colour scheme looks so stealthy - it's beautiful - I prefer it to what you have in mind, but don't let me stop you as the scheme you have in mind is completely different and loud and very nice too!

ibbz":2zh3wu1l said:
LDP":2zh3wu1l said:
That is sweee-eeeet!
Serotta's always look beautifully crafted, and that colour scheme looks so stealthy - it's beautiful - I prefer it to what you have in mind, but don't let me stop you as the scheme you have in mind is completely different and loud and very nice too!

The pictures are a bit of a shocker. The colour is actually British Racing Green with mauve and gold outline decals. The green does have a nice gold fleck in it and it is all original (and in not bad condition). The thing is, I also have the original minty 94 Chorus ergo group set (inc wheels with mavic ceramic rims) plus a nice 3T Serotta pantographed quill stem and a titano rolls saddle, so I'm part minded to just reassemble with some new cables and bar tape. I could always acquire another frame for a retro mod rather than 'butcher' this one :roll:

Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":36l2ool0 said:
This is the paint scheme I was thinking of.

If I had a Coors replica I wouldn't be touching it! I also like the red / yellow fade that Serotta were famous for BITD

pleasepleaseplease keep the paint and don't mess with the forks! I've nothing against a RetroMod - really a big fan of them when done sympathetically - but original paint is so much more desirable to my mind, and quill stems so much prettier to my eyes. One of my major beefs with modern bikes is the hideous ahead stems.

I'm putting modern(ish) Chorus on my Colnago Superissimo (10speed carbon with square taper cranks), think it's a lovely group without looking overly chunky and out of place on classic steel like, as you say, some can.

Back