Raleigh Equipe rebuild

GunterP

Dirt Disciple
I recently bought myself a Raleigh Equipe to restore. I spend most of my time on a MTB, so I thought it would make a nice change to go over to a road bike. Here she is when I bought her:

I need a few parts, maybe someone can suggest where I can find them? A Raleigh badge, seat post nut and bolt and some crank cover caps as below.

The frame is currently with the powder coaters, being painted bright orange!

Attachments

• 20150922_190643.jpg
    20150922_190643.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Casette.jpg
    Casette.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Cover caps.jpg
    Cover caps.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Derailieur.jpg
    Derailieur.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Front chainset.jpg
    Front chainset.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Raleigh badge.jpg
    Raleigh badge.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Seat post bolt.jpg
    Seat post bolt.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,357
Just another question, does the cassette need a dust cover? It looks like it should have one...

Looks OK to me.

Is it 531, 501, or just hi-tensile steel? I've owned an old 531 ('70s Peugeot PX10 singlespeed) and 501 bike (1993 Raleigh Pro Race 501), and I have a modern cro-mo Charge Plug.

The Peugeot was the best, followed pretty closely by the Charge. The worst by a large margin was the Raleigh. The 501 bike felt heavy and clunky to me - it was all original equipment too, and really nothing special. Sold it as it was disappointing to ride compared to my Charge - but it took an age to sell and I really didn't get much for it (made a loss in fact), even in good condition. I'll never touch a hi-tensile steel road bike as compared to what I've experienced I'd just be wasting money.
If it's just a hi-ten steel bike then I really wouldn't throw anything at it past elbow grease - it's just not worth it to me. I'd be tempted to say the same about 501, actually, it's nowhere near as good as 531.
Still, we've all got to start somewhere, right? You'll understand what I'm saying when you ride a 531 :twisted:
It's a nicely coloured bike in good condition, minus decals. Looks like a colour swap of my old Raleigh in fact, that was black and fluro green! I'm sure it'll do you good as a starter bike to get your head round things - not that there's much to learn about except bar tape and shifters!
Happy riding!

Thanks for the reply Ghosty. This is my first experience with a retro bike, so I'm not sure what is good and bad. My aim is to rebuild it on a shoestring budget and have a retro bike to have a blast on the odd dry weekend. I expect it will cost me £300 when it is all done, and I will keep it for a bit of fun...then I will gain more experience and maybe get another.

Here's to the next build :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looking good and look forward to the build and be orange look!!

GunterP":32wm871m said:
Just another question, does the cassette need a dust cover? It looks like it should have one...

I believe as far as i know of it doesn't have a dust cover and tbh it looks right to me mate ..

Whats wrong with the badge you have put up or is that not from this bike ? If it is then it looks ok to me (better nic than the ebay one)

Latest posts

Back