1963 Carlton Catalina - restoration project - Now complete

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Well here is my new project a Catalina, warts and all... more warts than anything! This is a 21-1/2" frame and is on a L prefix, so 1963 - same age as me. It has Capella lugs, chromed on the headstock. BB shell has Nervex(?) lugs. Drop outs are Cyclo. Brazed on gear and brake fittings, with a braze on boss for the gear lever... hope the thread is OK! The frame has a lot of original paint and a lot more of extra paint in addition - much of it very rough and it clearly has had some sort of reaction from the wrinkling I can see on the surface. Head lugs are superb - I will carefully clean these and repaint the head stock tube by hand. The rest of the frame will be completely stripped by hand and I will clean, prime and paint myself.

News decals will be sought from H Lloyd Cycles. Im going to restore to near(ish) spec, although I fully intend to use a lot of good stuff I have kicking around the workshop, inc 3-pin steel cottered chainset, Weinmann 999 CP brakes and other bits and bobs. The rest I will source from Ebay, shops and other suppliers. This will be a long project with the frame being my most challenging part. The frame is marked/stamped - any help on these would be appreciated.

Sadly the forks were 'lost' by the courier company and I think there is little chance of them turning up. I do have the forks in the picture. These are from a 1971 Continental I had kicking around in the store, fortunately the frame is the same size as this one, sadly they don't have chrome fork tips. I have another set with chrome fork tips, however they are from a 22-1/2" Corsa frame but the steerer tube is too long.

Apologies for the large amount of images, I need record all the detailing to get this back to as near original condition as I can...

P9193628_zpseguf0arq.jpg

P9193629_zpsbaidxf8p.jpg

P9193631_zpsivrxyqb9.jpg

P9193632_zpsbdmyedzg.jpg

P9193633_zpsmeaw63lh.jpg

P9193634_zpsxnjbugbe.jpg

P9193635_zpswuqd5zws.jpg

P9193638_zpsz9x1ep7r.jpg

P9193640_zpspu6wnjvl.jpg

P9193642_zpsd58ffbiq.jpg

P9193650_zpst0xqopkn.jpg

P9193658_zps0n3p8ztm.jpg

P9193646_zps2fftporo.jpg

P9193647_zpsgg7zaoxi.jpg

Re: 1963 Carlton Catalina - long term restoration project

Looking forward to seeing this completed to your usual high standard

I'll do my best...

Don't worry about posting loads of images - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!

I'm looking forward to following the build!

Jonny69":1frsxa83 said:
Don't worry about posting loads of images - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned!

I'm looking forward to following the build!

The long job of rubbing down starts soon!

Looks like a good project Mike :)
I'm sure it will look amazing once your finished and look forward to seeing your progress.
I hope the forks show up eventually.

Jamie

Jamie - still no sign of those forks. I hold very little hope now to be honest. The ones in the pictures will scrub up OK though.

I'm really looking forward to this. Beautiful piece and in the right hands too!

I'm curious to know how you will source the paint and the technique you will use to prime and paint the frame.

Im doing all the preparation and painting by hand. This will mean taking it back to bare metal, probably and etch primer, primer and then finished paint with a clear lacquer top coat. new decals from H Lloyd Cycles. Ive only had a chance to do a little rubbing down so far.

no rush , its not if you dont have any other glorious bikes to ride

Back