TVT Greg Lemond and brake lever/delta set up

cloonaghpat

Retro Guru
Hi,

I am trying to set up the brake levers and delta brakes on this bike, I am currently building.

These brake levers have me stumped along with the delta brakes.

When placing the inner brake cable in the barrel like part that holds the cable end, which way should the slot in the barrel be - should the slot in the barrel be facing towards the seatpost or the other way.

I read that these are "powergrade levers whereas the leverage can be adjusted by turning a 1 mm cap screw" The barrel that holds the cable end can be adjusted up and down.
There is also quick release on the lever and + and - etched onto the front of the lever.

I presume the quick release bolt should be set as per the 1st generation ergolevers.

I have already tried cabling the rear delta brake up. All I have achieved to date is 4 frayed cables. The end of the brake cable in the lever body has popped out the couple of times I have tried to get it set. I didn't realise the whole delta brake could move up and down on its mount :facepalm: .

Any advice regarding setting them up would be great.

Regards,

Pat

Attachments

• tvt 2.jpg
    tvt 2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,330
if you look at the part that holds the cable it has a counter sink for the brake cable nipple to slot into.
They are a bit of a bugger to set up I always do it without the wheel in the frame with the cable adjuster set to give the maximum amount of cable adjustment. Put the wheel back in & adjust the inner cable to the correct length before cutting it.
Hope thats of some help? but I always struggle with them so Just take your time.

TVT Greg Lemond

Thanks for that Chris, they are really fiddly. I will have another go this weekend. How is the Raleigh Castorama coming on?

Regards,

Pat

Re: TVT Greg Lemond

cloonaghpat":2wwbzxub said:
Thanks for that Chris, they are really fiddly. I will have another go this weekend. How is the Raleigh Castorama coming on?

Regards,

Pat

Hi Pat
Its finished I'm just waiting for some replacement rim decals from another member of Retro Bike as he was having some made.
Mine is not a Cyfac frame but a Dyno-Tech XML Metal Matrix frame & thats got Deltas fitted. I only did it as a Castorama as its such a rare frame.
The later versions of the Deltas had a slot in the bottom of the cover plate that makes it easier to cut the inner cable to length, with all of mine I had to get the length correct & then splay out the wires to stop it fowling up on the inside of the cover plate as its all inside the brake. Its a right pain in the @rse.
Plus you need a 9mm (i think) spanner to hold the cable mount while you then try to tighten the 3.5mm allen screw.
God knows have the team mechanics did these brakes? maybe there is an easy way of doing it.

This is a link to my TVT HM Lemond https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbyn1aum1sp7 ... gz8Ca?dl=0
Chris

Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":2fvq0mf0 said:
Thanks Chris, some great close up shots there. That bike is in beautiful condition for 25 years old.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks Pat let me know how you get on with the Delta Fitting.
Chris

Re:

Hi Chris,

I got the brakes set up Saturday. I set the brake calipers high on their mounting.
I then pulled a length of cable through the clamp. I left the wheel off. I tightened everything up. Some advice I saw on the internet suggested that you mark the cable at this stage, take it off the bike, cut the cable and refit. I tried this a couple of times last week and I found that the clamp crushed the cable and it was just too easy to fray the ends of the cable.

My solution wasn't pretty but it worked!

I set the arms of the calipers as far away from the rim as possible to start with by twisting down on the bellows adjustment on the top of the caliper.
I set the cable once, made sure the cable was tight.
I pulled on the brake lever a couple of times to make sure I was happy with the action
and then using a diagonal pliers, nipped of the excess cable/strands.
My calipers have the hole at the bottom, so it was a little easier.
The diagonal pliers leave about 5mm of exposed cable from the end of the clamp, so if everything is a little tight when you refit the cover plate, you can loosen the clamp a little to release a little cable to set the brake blocks a little further from the rim.
Hope this is of some help to anyone else who is having a go at these brakes.
They are pretty. I will get some photos up shortly.

Regards,

Pat

Well Done, Sounds like you've cracked it Pat ;) the 5mm thats left exposed I splay that apart & bend the individual wire back towards the clamp that way it doesn't hit the bottom of the cover plate & stop the bake lever returning correctly.
I think its that you just have to find a way that works for you, but like I said they are a nightmare to set up.

Back