1975 Carlton Corsa - upgraded...

Spokesmann

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
I recent months I have upgraded this bike from 5 to 10 speed. To make this a little more acceptable on the hills Ive put a 34 tooth sprocket on the back, coupled to a period 42/49 Raleigh steel cottered chainset on the front, hills are a lot more enjoyable now on this old mount. A long cage Shimano Tourney rear mech was also fitted. On the front I was able to source a period correct Huret Alvit mech. I have some new 70mm brake blocks on order too, so the braking will be improved. Managed to get hold of a period steel pannier rack to give the machine better carrying capacity too. Most modern carriers seem to be aimed at machines with a plethora of brazed on mounting points, alas this old machine doesn't have them. Also put a new set of RM 19 wheels to finish the job off. This is a biggish frame at 23-1/2" and when fully loaded is an imposing machine.

P9063507_zpshu7bqfhe.jpg

P9063516_zpsg394mqvg.jpg

P9063528_zpsouikkumi.jpg

P9063519_zpsnshhmhvd.jpg

P9063518_zpsxcon0mqy.jpg

Re:

Spokesmann":21vteteh said:
Obviously not that interesting! :)

The forum's pretty quiet at the moment.

But really everyone one was thinking 'Oh not again - another bl**dy Carlton' ;)

Looks good Spokesmann! I'm just doing something similar with my old Dawes Fox, except I've stuck one of SJS's cheap compact chainsets on it. I think I'll give the dynamo lights a miss - but they do look right. It won't look a patch on yours though, too much missing paintwork!

Lovely frame and look. Just looks beautiful.
How's this compare with say a modern steel or alu frame especially when carrying loads?

ibbz":2hf3thbm said:
Lovely frame and look. Just looks beautiful.
How's this compare with say a modern steel or alu frame especially when carrying loads?

Carries a load well, the steel frame has some flex in it but absorbs road impacts better than aluminium or carbon. The rack is bolted in securely and is able to carry about 40-50lbs or so. Anything heavier would require a more robust carrier, I can't seem to find anything these days which doesn't require securing tangs etc to attach to modern frame braze ons. This is a big frame and Ive spent a little time setting up my riding position on this machine, this combined with the more forgiving gearing now makes for a more relaxed ride, especially on some of the hills in and around Plymouth.

Back