Peugeot Z-Team 653

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
I figured that I had about 80% of components to knock a new bike together, a quick trawl of eBay a few weeks ago led me to this.

Collected yesterday, Cinelli stem & Campagnolo headset included :)

Also supplied were a pair of tubulars; Mavic GP4's with the rear having a Campagnolo Record hub (unsure of the front currently).

I originally wanted a frame to send off to be powdercoated black as I want this bike to be a stealthy-looking bike (I have mainly black wheels & components to go on her). However I think i've fallen for the (albeit tatty) colour scheme.

Components will be mainly modern but i'm hoping the black equipment will ensure that it doesn't look out of place.

Campagnolo Khamsin wheels (destickered)
Black Campagnolo Veloce brakes, front & rear mechs (need to source a rear black 9s mech)
Black ITM 'Big One' quill stem with matching ITM bars
Campagnolo 9 speed STI's
FSA carbon crankset

I think the frame would benefit from a damn good T-Cut. Also, does anyone have advice on how to improve the paintwork without a new paintjob?

Re:

Is it just me, or does that front wheel look smaller than the rear?
Also I think silver would compliment the frameset colourscheme better. But that's just personal choice.
To get paint touch ups done, take it to local supermarket and I'm sure you will find very good colour match for those colours in the nail varnish dept.

Mike

I am surprised to see it as a 653. The Athena in this colour was a 653 but the frame you could buy on its own with the twin chrome rear stays and chrome painted over front forks was usually a 753 (as well as having the racing team decal on the top tube).

I wonder if you have been lucky and actually have a 753 frame that has had 653 decals put on ?

I've restored one of these with a bare metal respray, I got the paint from E1 Carcolours in London.

The purple was "BMW 119, Blau Met 2C ref 20142678" the Pink was matched and had a "Code 20138393, Cycle Pink, 20142677" this was mixed up to be sprayed on but they might be able to make you some up as a touch up.

If you do want to get in re-done then my painter could do it and delcals can do all the decals apart from the down tube Peugeot word which I got from H Lloyds as they were the only people who did it right with the little r in the circle at the end.

This is mine..

Also so from memory the 653 ones had the rear brake cable lugs on the side / underside of the top tube and the 753 had them on top as yours does.

Back